Author Topic: BBC2 programme on allotments  (Read 37299 times)

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
Re: BBC2 programme on allotments
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2005, 21:46:14 »
>>>off to make a noise  >:( i was all set for an afternoon nosing around others lotties and ended up watching more darn junk to auction program !!!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2005, 22:34:39 »
Today for the first time wasn't able to be at home to watch it soooooo....set up the VCR......later, got myself settled, nice glass of wine & a few nibbles at the ready, pressed the button and what appears....flippin 'Flog it'.... :owhy in heavens name....I spent ages rewinding and pressing search again - in case I was doing something wrong and re-reading the t.v. guide (had I punched in the wrong nos).  ???

now I've just read all the above and see the didn't show it....why not

how dare they do this with no explanation.....I bet it's cos it's proving sooo popular that the 'big boys' who appear in the regular gardening progs. are quaking in their boots at the popularity of this humble but delightful hour of good old 'down to earth' lottying......

I'll go complain too.....do you think it will be on tomorrow??

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2005, 22:54:01 »
I've just been over and put in my complaint too.....let's hope we get some replies!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2005, 23:07:52 »
It's gone off tomorrow's schedule too, though as yet there's nothing in its place!

I reckon it was the piffling bit of swearing.  Some nanny will have complained and they're possibly now having to re-edit the lot.  Hope they get rid of the trailers too in that case: I agree with Heldi - recaps would make sense if there'd just been an advert break.  But in that case why advertise a R2 show?

ho hum

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

NeilB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2005, 23:31:08 »
Its been taken off due to lack of interest apparently!. And it will now be re-scheduled at a later date and also a more convenient time, though when that will be is anyones guess!!.
http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/forum/view.asp?postID=35817

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2005, 00:26:24 »
Quite amazed to hear that they have taken "The Big Dig" off. They have hardly given it a chance have they?  What ever people might have thought about it, at least it was about allotments and programmes like that are few and far between.  It was a ridiculous time to broadcast it and they obviously thought they were gearing it up for elderly viewers who they thought would have plenty of chance to watch it at that time of day.  Whereas, as we have all said having an allotment spans lots of age groups and lots of people would be at work or collecting children from school.

So annoyed about it.  Have made a complaint too, thanks sexy_snail for the link.  >:( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2005, 08:43:41 »
I have just complained too, and will try and find the Points of View email address as well!

The whole series seems to have been pulled.

We are told that owning allotments is a fast growing hobby in the UK, and at last we had a programme that (whilst not setting the world of gardening alight) was shaping up to be an interesting and enjoyable programme about real gardeners doing real gardening, a bit like taking a wander around someone else's plot. Now it  appears to have been replaced with yet another tedious and peurile show about selling other people's old rubbish for money!

Bring back the Big Dig!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2005, 09:03:30 »
Have emailed my politely-worded (!) complaint to the Britsh B'stards Corporation. Completely hacked off about this, as being a newbie plot holder I was looking forward to getting a few hints and tips (well, the ones I haven't already got from A4A!) and also a few hours of tv that didn't involve shouting, shooting or shagging. But if they want violence let's do a live episode where disgruntled allotmenteers meet the idiot who decided to pull the Big Dig... >:( >:(

Cheers,
Rob ;) >:(
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2005, 09:13:39 »
Do you have the email address, Wardy?

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2005, 09:15:01 »
I have just received the BBC Gardening email newsletter, which included this bit:

2. Allotments for all

Allotments have undergone a dramatic revival in recent years and as
vegetable seed sales soar, it looks like more and more people are
yearning to 'grow it themselves'. Whether you're a complete novice or
seasoned allotmenteer, The Big Dig on BBC Two should give you plenty of
new ideas and inspiration. The programme airs every weekday at 3.30pm
this week and next.

Hmmm.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2005, 09:18:48 »
I have just received the BBC Gardening email newsletter, which included this bit:

2. Allotments for all

Allotments have undergone a dramatic revival in recent years and as
vegetable seed sales soar, it looks like more and more people are
yearning to 'grow it themselves'. Whether you're a complete novice or
seasoned allotmenteer, The Big Dig on BBC Two should give you plenty of
new ideas and inspiration. The programme airs every weekday at 3.30pm
this week and next.

Hmmm.

... and I have just replied to said email telling them they're taking the piss! >:(

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2005, 09:37:10 »
Me too! Didn't spot the 'feedback' address!

Now sent messages to BBC Complaints, Simon Mayo, Jeremy Vine and the gardening newsletter people.

Wonder if I'll hear anything back? Not sure whether I can listen to the radio all day at work - hope others can keep an ear out?

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2005, 09:55:33 »
Terry is likely to be sat in the shed having a nice cup of tea if they're getting the same weather that we are here!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2005, 10:05:12 »
I also registered a complaint to the Kitchen Garden mag - see the link provided by Neil B yesterday - and I'm now getting lots of feedback from that - really interesting to read so many different opinions and comments....

I'm still fuming about it!!

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2005, 10:38:41 »
We are only a short distance from Terrys lottie. ( 10 min drive away ) Would you like us to go and see him ? He might be able to tell us why if you don't get an answer. :)

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2005, 10:51:22 »
Can you post the addy here so we can all complain ??

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2005, 11:21:46 »
Baggythecat (pseudonym) has complained to points of view.  If anyone has links for more complaints for the computer illiterate,post them, and I'll do those too.
Get with the beat Baggy

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2005, 12:07:28 »
Just posted my 2 cents worth at the Points of View site, had to get up a make a soothing cup of Rooibos tea as I was getting "mildly" upset while typing and had to go back and edit out some of the naughty words that first sprang from my fingers.   {:¬)#
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2005, 13:35:03 »
You have not missed anything believe me, it was dire. The words which spring to mind include, dumbed down, patronising, bland, dull and those are the best things I could say about it!

Have to put myself out there with you Palustris and agree with you. We taped the Tuesday episode but I found it quite dull, more about the people than the planting it seemed to me. The intro said how the dynamics of lotties are changing and more younger people are taking them up, then they proceeded to show only retired old men.

As you say - everyone is allowed an opinion!  :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2005, 14:21:37 »
I like the BBC (ducks to avoid flying plates) and I fully support the licence fee - best broadcaster in the world and not beholden to advertisers to make money so does not have to suck up to them - and we all make mistakes.  Personally think are all being a little hysterical.  Let's just wait and see - I could not see it at 3.30pm anyway so I for one will welcome it being rescheduled (do not have a VCR either).
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal