Author Topic: New fruit bushes  (Read 1111 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
New fruit bushes
« on: October 10, 2005, 09:46:45 »
I want to plant some fruit bushes for the first time on my allotment. Just wondering whether it matters what has been grown on a particular patch before when it comes to choosing a site for the fruit? (Like crop rotation for veg)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: New fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 11:18:12 »
I want to plant some fruit bushes for the first time on my allotment. Just wondering whether it matters what has been grown on a particular patch before when it comes to choosing a site for the fruit? (Like crop rotation for veg)

Yes it does matter. Raspberries definitely suffer from replant syndrome (ie don't grow very well if planted where rasps were previously) and it's as well to make sure you don't replant any similar species in any case, because any pests will be concentrated in that root run.

If you have had nothing there in the past, choose somewhere convenient eg where you have access at all sides and have room to put up a fruit cage when you get fed up of the birds eating everything!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal