Author Topic: What a time saver  (Read 5646 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: What a time saver
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 10:19:59 »
Richard, I am currently studying horticulture at degree level, at  http://www.easton-college.ac.uk/
soil compaction has many causes, here is a small pdf which explains it well, pages 4 and 5
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/publist/600series/613100-1.pdf are particularly of interest in this instance,  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 11:38:46 »
Richard

What an amazing time saver for you - there's your poor old dad doing the digging with the obviously hugely heavy machine whilst you stand around taking pictures!!  I wish I had a dad as useful and generous as yours!!!

Cambourne 7, why are you going to buy a mantis tiller for your raised beds?  Surely the thing with raised beds is that as you don't walk on them, the soil is not compacted and the digging/rotovating actually damages the good work of the worms and micro organisms do in breaking down the soil and creating a proper texture?

Old Bird

;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 15:06:55 »
Cambourne 7, why are you going to buy a mantis tiller for your raised beds?  Surely the thing with raised beds is that as you don't walk on them, the soil is not compacted and the digging/rotovating actually damages the good work of the worms and micro organisms do in breaking down the soil and creating a proper texture?
Old Bird
 ;D
Well put, Old Bird!! ;)  ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 09:37:11 »
[PG it is an Honda 610, I think it is about 6.5hp the plough on it is fantastic and the rotavator blades...]

Thanks for your reply Richard. I take it then that you are a fan of two-wheelers!

Did you finish ploughing the entire cleared allotment area we can see if you pictures? How long did it take you with the two-wheeled tractor?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal