Author Topic: What a time saver  (Read 5647 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
What a time saver
« on: October 09, 2005, 16:16:13 »
Hello all just a couple of pictures of my new toy my father got me last week, thats him in the pictures showing me how its done.  It would have took me about 2 months to dig that allotment with a spade, so it as saved me no end of time.
           [/img]

[/img]
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: What a time saver
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 16:30:01 »
What a lovely machine, I would have to build a new gate to get that onto my plot. Would be worth it though, mine takes me all winter to dig ...

Derekthefox :D

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 19:49:11 »
Wow, looks fab.  :D
When I see people on the site rotovating it looks like such a struggle. Is it really difficult to do? It looks like harder work than digging!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 12:58:46 »
It's almost as hard but 100 times faster so less backache 8)

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 14:46:39 »
I once hired a rotovator, I picked it up from the supplier and single handedly put in into my estate car.  I drove to the lotty and spent most of the day using this mad machine to dig the lotty over.  The machine had 2 reverse gears - which came in useful to get it out of holes that it dug itself into.

When you use a rotovator you generally get your feet buried as you walk behind it (did I say walk - I mean "get dragged").  If the plot is rather overgrown (and mine was) then there are clumps of grass growing - never try to rotovate a clump of grass - what happens is that the blades engage the clump and drive in into the ground, instantly forming a barrier to the blade.  Consequently the whole machine leaps out of the ground and lands on the hard surface just in front of where you have been digging.

Several things happen now.
First, because the throttle is wide open, in order to keep the machine running whilst digging, the engine speeds up.
Second, because the machine is now on top of quite hard (undug) soil it doesn't dig in - it runs (rather quickly) across the surface.
And finally, because your feet are buried and you forget to release the clutch (but still hang onto the handle-bars) you get stretched until the machine tears itself clear of your grasp - and instantly stops.

This was repeated a couple of times, other times it met a decidedly soft bit and immediatedly burried itself - thank goodness for reverse gears!

Well, I did manage to get the whole plot dug - then I had to pick the machine up and pop it into the back of the car.  Easier said than done (well by me at least)  I had no strength left whatsoever and could not get the machine into the car.  Had to enlist the help of some ancient gardeners.

Two weeks later there were as many weeds as before - except that now they were greener and growing much quicker!

I relate this story to warn would-be rotovator victims.  They are great machines and achieve far more than a spade - but beware they have a cost.

-- Slightly Taller.
-- Marginally Wiser.
Always look on the bright side of life

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 15:57:15 »
LOL Bionic wellies  ;D ;D I have some great images of you in my mind now.

Think I will stick to my spade and elbow grease!

The council rotivate the plots first time round when you sign up, and it has not done us that much good, other than breaking the earth up a bit and reducing the fear factor for the first month or so! The weeds are back with avengence already.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 17:17:36 »
i own my oy own. Keep itat the lottie.

i love them, yes theres the problems of weeds but i mnaged to claer a big area with a rotavtor and level it and get eveything done witin a weekend, would have taken about two months to dig!!

Also great in winter, you just run u and down it shoves the soil to the sides and then the soil is in furrows which apparantly are better for the soil over the winter...dunno the truth but im going to do it.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 17:18:24 »
also found that pulling them machines stop all the walking in cultivated soil.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 18:21:24 »
Richard - a thing to behold - the best.  For those with the room to store it! And the strength.

Wellies - what a great description!

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 11:10:01 »
Its a great machine Tim, think they call them a two wheeled tractor nowdays, had no problems with it jumping out of the ground at all,  that allotment had not been dug for three years and despite the look of it the ground was very hard but it handled it great.

[/img]

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 20:58:15 »
Once you get the knack it's easy (ish)

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 19:33:02 »
Lol BW, great imagery!  ;D
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Re: What a time saver - two wheeled tractor
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:26:24 »
Richard, reply to an old post I know, but I'm thinking of getting a two-wheeled tractor too. Do you still use yours? What make and model are you using in the pics, and would you recommend it?

I'm attracted to the two-wheeled tractor for its small turning circle at the end of rows - did you find this yourself? The range of attachments for the machines are great (including rotavator, plough, tiller, mower - have you used any?

A lot of questions I know, but any real-user info would be appreciated.

Thanks

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 11:44:27 »
Bionic Wellies i haven't laughed this hard in a while you should write books you're ace at describing scenarios.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 18:29:21 »
Beware of using rotovators and ploughs, they cause 'panning'. Farmers use deep - tined cultivators to break them up. what will the gardener use?? ;)
You couldn't make it up!

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 20:10:19 »
Yep!! Bionic Wellies has definately used a rotorvator. Dangerous as all hell if you're not careful but a real timesaver for a big plot.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 20:23:35 »
getting over flu and feeling a bit low, this has definately cheered me up - "Wellies'" description is classic.  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 09:29:19 »
Tony got one but he will only use it to fold the muck in or to go over already weeded ground. I can't manage the thing it runs away with me. I would probably end up being taken to the other side of the allotment site. Turning them is really hard for me
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 17:34:59 »
Agreed bionics wellies you certainly have the gift of the gab !! wonderfuly funny and so true :)

Adam04 i did not realise you were a pilot :)

I am hoping to get a mantiz tiller at the end of the year to use on my raised beds as i cant dig them over myself any more.

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 20:13:57 »
PG it is an Honda 610, I think it is about 6.5hp the plough on it is fantastic and the rotavator blades, it did take about 4 or 5 attempts to get the handling of it right but once you do it is ok.

Tony The tined cultivators farmers use are mainly used only where the tractor as been running through the crops to spray etc to brake the compacted ground underneath them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal