Author Topic: Apple Day  (Read 1216 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Apple Day
« on: October 08, 2005, 23:04:34 »
Next weekend is the Apple Day weekend at Buckingham Nurseries. The website hasn't been updated to include the info yet, but I got the online newsletter today and thought you might be interested in what's planned.

Apple Day 15th and 16th October 2005
Everyone here at the Garden Centre is hoping for good weather for the Apple Day weekend. Last year the sun shone down on our first weekend of hosting this event, and as it was such a success we are planning the event again, with more attractions.

Firstly our three ‘Apple Experts’, Dr Barrie and Sarah Juniper and Alan Watson will be bringing a selection of British Apples for visitors to taste. When deciding what to do early this year they were planning to have over 60 varieties to view and taste, but as anyone with apple trees will know, it is not a good year for apples with some trees bearing virtually no fruit or very little. We will still have plenty of varieties both eaters and cookers.

There will be a large stand with good British apples and pears to buy plus related goodies such as chutneys and jams. As we are keen to promote good British food we shall have a Gloucestershire cheese maker with Double and Single Gloucester cheese, a local farmer with meat and a local bee keeper with honey and other ‘bee’ products. Apple Day would not be Apple Day without apple juices, ciders and meads so ‘The Drunken Monk’ will be providing these again, and we will also have an apple press to demonstrate how you can use your own surplus fruit to make home produced juice or cider.

During the day there will be a series of talks and demonstration. Ali Templeton will be with us again giving cookery demonstrations at 11.30 and 2.30 on both days, and members of HDRA will not only be manning a stand to display work on the Heritage Seed Library but also giving talks as well. We will also have talks on bulbs, flower arranging demonstrations and there will be hanging basket and pot planting demonstrations.
For the children – and adults – there will be a falconry display with wonderful birds to view and some to handle.

For those wanting to have a bite to eat whilst with us we have arranged for extra caterers to come to provide excellent soups and other home made goodies, then there will be breakfasts and lunches served in our restaurant.

All in all a good day out for the keen or budding gardener and with no entrance charge what could be better!

Sounds good to me!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: Apple Day
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 16:39:19 »
http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/index.html 

Ooh, I've just found Apple Day on their web site, that's not TOO far away,  ::)    Wonder if I can persuade my hubbie to go out for a cup of coffee ...  ;)

"are we nearly there yet"  comes to mind  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re: Apple Day
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 17:10:05 »
Thanks for that Amazin, might try to make it too  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal