Author Topic: pondering the erection  (Read 6387 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: pondering the erection
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 10:02:53 »
Husband !  Husband!  I haven't given him that honour yet!!  We are engaged to be married but that's as far as it has got.  It's a bit of a sore point especially since it took me alot to say yes having sworn "never again" after being married before.  On the romantic side of things he proposed to me during an episode of Gardener's World, Sarah Raven was talking about cut flowers and how lovely scented sweet peas would be for weddings. I have a wish to grow my own flowers for my wedding but since we never talk about it I get a bit sad. Never mind, he'll blinking well have to get me a PT sorted out won't he!

A wind up radio...brilliant !  

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 10:24:15 »
Awww Heldi, I wish you all the best with your nuptial arrangements, if you were closer, I would offer to play at your wedding, I have only ever done that once before, for my best man's daughter ...

I have started scribbling down little ideas and details for making my PT using PVC electrical conduit and junction boxes, I get given tons of the stuff at work, so could make good use of it. I will have to examine other peoples PT's to look at some of the structural details, I am concerned about wind loading , oops there is the engineer in me coming out ... I also need to determine the cheapest way to cover the PT. I may opt for a low profile tunnel, ie only 6ft at its highest point, that would still make it 12ft wide ...

I love this creative phase, it is so exciting watching an idea develop ...

All well, time for a coffee ...

Derekthefox :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 13:13:15 »
Sounds like a lovely idea, growing your own flowers, will send you the credit card.....but, sshhh.....just don't tell him ;D ;)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 17:02:40 »
Lottie you lucky girl you! I've found your pic of your PT. Very nice! If I could get one into my back garden then I would consider buying one...well OH spent £600 on his shed so I could spend a couple of hundred couldn't I ??!! Pity is I can't fit one in the garden as it's too small...especially with two blumin sheds in it!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 17:38:58 »
Aw Derek that's a nice gesture....playing at my wedding. Mind you I'm not even sure where this wedding is supposed to be taking place. I did have a hankering for  Camelot Castle Hotel in Cornwall.  Wedding and honeymoon rolled into one.  So how up are you on medieval music lol!  In reality the logistics of getting guests there would be a nightmare though,besides I want people to see my little girl as a bridesmaid  ;D so maybe I should be looking to places up here in Northumberland. Secretly I have a castle in mind !

As to PT's,my flower man told me this...scaffolding posts cemented into the ground and that blue water pipe stuff inserted into them. As to how to attach the polythene etc he didn't know and neither do I!  How do you get a hold of water pipe? I know a place where there is loads of it  but unfortunately it's being used!!  GYO magazine suggests siting the PT north to south so as the narrow end gets the brunt of the sun,and a door at each end to aid ventilation.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 08:29:02 »
Not exactly short of castles in Northuberland, Heldi!

Try a builders' merchants for plastic piping.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 08:57:38 »
Heldi!

Wow, Camelot ! My favourite romance story of all time, King Arthur, with Guinevere ... And I adore castles too.
As to early renaissance music, I have played much, the only piece you have, is a medley on Greensleeves, but I am hoping to record more soon. Talking guitar, I received the ultimate compliment from one of the members at my guitar class last night. In between our assigned tasks, I was running through a piece - evocacion - and she sat there mouth wide, wondering why she could hear two guitars. I felt like the cat with the cream, I can tell you!! Things like that are so rare.

As Obbelix says, builders suppliers will have the piping, otherwise, if you know any gas or water services blokes, flash them a smile and ask for offcuts! I am sure they will give you all you need .... !

Your tunnel will definitely need ventilation, so two doors yes.

Must be off now, got a busy day ...

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 10:53:03 »
Trying to beg and borrow everything for the allotment Obby. I don't want to say steal,covert operations might sound better  ;)  :). I've got OH thinking through his acquaintances to see if he has anyone in the know. Otherwise it's down to where I know some works are going on and flashing a smile like Derek said!  Mind you they'll probs think I'm on day release or something!  Oh I've had a cunning plan...the works are close to where my mum lives...surely they wouldn't turn down a little old lady in a wheel chair  PML !!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Derek I listened to Greensleeves before I opened this thread.  I too am keen on the Arthurian legend. I've recently taken delivery of a book.  "The Discovery of King Arthur" by Geoffrey Ashe.  Haven't looked through it yet but it's my next book to read. I watched a programme on BBC 2 a while ago and it linked Arthur to the Northumberland , I was so pleased  :D .  I couldn't find any details of the particular programme on the beeb website in order to refresh my memory,always a pisser that. Sorry bout the language but it is irritating!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 14:32:13 »
Heldi I got some of the blue tubing at our local plumbase!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 16:36:44 »
On the subject of Arthur, the point to remember is that the legendary King Arthur was/is a fictional character, created by more than one writer ... and within British history there was more than one actual Arthur ...  As a result links pop up in various locations - Wales, Somerset, Cornwall, and as you mention - Northumbria. It is no mean feat to try and unravel all of this, I certainly have not been able.

Fortunately the net has an extensive array of material on Arthur and associated data, unfortunately some of it is American so can be discounted as glam and hype, rather than credible dialogue.

Try googling on king arthur northumbria ...

Guinevere is also an interesting subject, the name is still popular in a modern form, much to my daughter's surprise.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2005, 18:14:19 »
fictional! Now Derek don't tell me that,I want it all to be real,even Merlin and the wicked  Morgaine,Morgan or Morganna!  Do I remember seeing Excalibur as one of your favourite films?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2005, 18:21:13 »
King Arthur is a myth or legend remember, which means the tale is a combination of real and imaginary elements, sometimes it is not possible to distinguish between the two. You tell me though, where does real start and imagination end ...

Yes Excalibur is one of my favourite films, it is powerful, dark, simply exciting, but not close to the original story ... although that is not necessary really.

Derekthefox  :D :D :D

Treacletop

• Quarter Acre
  • Mad woman with Sword!
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2005, 18:42:28 »
If you don't believe what chance have we got?

Lottie, I am with you...he's real!!!

:)
Be true to yourself..nobody else will!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2005, 19:12:45 »
I presume you mean Heldi, Treacletop!  ;D

He is real as far as I am concerned too ...

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2005, 14:35:35 »
Captain Piquard. Make it so.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 15:37:41 »
Thank you No 1  ;D ;D ;D

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2005, 19:27:33 »
Heidi/Derek

If you like the Authurian Legend can I recomend that you read the triology written by Bernard Cornwell (He wrote the Sharpe series too)
'
Can't remember the order of them, but they are;-

'The winter King'
'Excaliber'
'Enemy of God'.

I thoroughly enjoyed them (read 'em twice) and the story is a little bit different too

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2005, 19:43:33 »
Heidi/Derek

If you like the Authurian Legend can I recomend that you read the triology written by Bernard Cornwell (He wrote the Sharpe series too)
'
Can't remember the order of them, but they are;-

'The winter King'
'Excaliber'
'Enemy of God'.

I thoroughly enjoyed them (read 'em twice) and the story is a little bit different too

Derek

Order is

'The Winter King'

'Enemy of God'

'Excalibur'

so nearly right  ;D

I've read them twice too (and tempted to read them again  ::)) excellent story and very different especially if you read 'The once and future King' by T.H. White too.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2005, 20:34:08 »
Thankyou Derek and Twospot!

See I told you Jean Luc that we should have an Arthur thread!

;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2005, 23:31:01 »
All that's really known of the historical Arthur is a few mentions of someone called Arturus in the Easter Annals from around the nid-6th Century if I remember correctly. He was 'Dux Britannorum' implying that he was a cavalry leader (dux was a Roman military title) responsible for Britain (presumably the old Roman province), which implies that the various kingdoms of the time were acting together, presumably against the Saxons. He won a great victory at Mons Badonensis, and nobody knows where that was, only that it appears to have stopped the Saxon advance for a generation. He was killed along with someone called Modred, at a place called Camlann, and nobody knows where that was either. The rest is myth, maybe with bits of truth in there somewhere.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal