Author Topic: pondering the erection  (Read 6397 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
pondering the erection
« on: October 07, 2005, 10:49:40 »
Hah I knew you'd look with that title!

Well after pondering the erection of a polytunnel I thought I'd send for a catalogue,purely to look at the pictures mind, (hee hee) so as to get ideas. Blinking heck...they start at 200 quid !  :o  Mind you they did send me a free teabag so I had something to choke on when I looked a the pricelist. So in amongst the bumph this company says it supplied the polytunnels for the new ITV programme "The Real Goodlife". I thought "Boy that really is the good life getting a more than 200 quid polytunnel donated to you!"  Not really the good life as in Tom and Barbara though is it?  Not exactly making things from scratch,recycling etc. Cheeky varmints.

I do have to say their polytunnels are very smart though. I'm not actually dissing ( hey dude I am hip with it  8)) them. 

I'd also like to report that this morning I have had a Robin in my garden and a pair of Blue Tits and I am very pleased. ;D  Woo hoo !

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: pondering the erection
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 11:19:48 »
Hi Heldi.  I've been pondering a greenhouse for ages but find the expense frightening.  I want a lean-to model attached to the back of the house but so far haven't found anything that doesn't come in th emany hundreds of pounds and that will fit my particular situation.

Now I'm considering a self build using the old UPC double glazed windows we took out when we first started renovating this heap.  It wouldn't be glamorous but would work.  It could even be made reasonably attractive but 'd need a man or two to weild the supports and put on a roof.  Have to plan it all while OH isn't looking as he's less frightened by fait accompli or at  least all planned and budgeted.

Would it not be possible for you to buy the supports and some polythene sheeting and erect it with help from OH and BIL?
Obxx - Vendée France

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 11:37:48 »
Hi

Wickes the builder's merchants used to have and maybe still do, instruction sheets on how to build a conservatory on the side of a house.  These instructions can easily be modified to build a greenhouse.  Instructions for building your own poly tunnel can be found at this site  http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Projects/polytunnel/polytunnel.htm

Hope this helps

MikeB
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 13:11:45 by MikeB »

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 13:10:18 »
I've got a conservatory (of sorts) on the side of the house but as it leads out of our (small) kitchen it's really more of a utility room with one small corner for plants & seedlings etc.

However, have just built a coldframe from an old pallet and OH informs me that the company next door to his office is a window factory so should soon have a top for it and hopefully enough for cloches and protection at the lotty :)
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 13:36:57 »
Thanks Heldi for putting up an interesting thread, the teabag would be wasted on me though! Putting aside the erection issues, since I definitely don't have a problem there with my excellent manual capabilities, I think mikeB's link is a superb one, and certainly something for me to consider. Something to ponder during the winter months.

I am also into recycling, my shed only cost me £19 for felt and a hasp and staple and door hinges. Even all the nails were reclaimed off old pallets. The timber off cuts made a fire to keep me warm, and the ash went back onto the soil.

Thats enough for now, let's see what other interesting comments pop up!

Derekthefox :D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 14:00:30 »
Hi guys!

I have absolutely no intention of buying a PT. I was interested in having a wee looky through the catalogue...well it was free and I got a teabag!  I was surprised at the prices I have to say. They do look the business though.  Not for me I'm afraid,I don't have a daddy with a yacht.

I am going to try to make my own PT for the allotment. Thanks Mike for your link. Wardy pointed me in the very same direction.

I have one very long bendy bit of rubber tubing. It was in amongst the rubbish on the lotty. I reckon skullduggery, there were probs more at one time.

Obby I think you should go for the self build. They can be just as appealing and if it works...   no one can knock it!

kentishchloe, I want a coldframe too! Perhaps one of those would be more attainable than a PT right now. I'd want polywotsit ( carbonate I think) glazing because of my children. They go bananas once let loose on the lotty.  I also want some cloches. I like the look of those pvc ones but eeek! How much?!  I've found some metal things in the shed on the allotment, I'm wondering if they are for making cloches,can't figure them out. Haven't studied them too much yet..kept tripping over a pile of them so have bunged them somewhere out of the way. I'll have to take some pictures and see if anyone can tell me what they are for.

Anyway have been up to the lotty and chased the chooks around for a bit. Have bought some peanuts for the BlueTits in my back garden and now I'm biding my time til school and my son and his 7 year old guest who wants to meet the hens!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 14:10:00 »
Derek ..you don't drink tea ??  :o  !!! 

Hey you would love a look inside that shed on my allotment. It was apparently put up by a master craftsman...other lotty folks have told me. Anyway its full of old tools and old bits of this and that. Nuts bolts nails screws.A bench with one of the thingies that grips things that I can't remember the name of but if I keep typing it will come back...vice...see I told you it would come to me in the end! Bits of wood,more bits of wood,even more bits of wood. Car parts !  Old lawn mower and an engine of some description. First aid box contents circa 1970's I think,complete with a little tott of whiskey! Bottles and cans of stuff.  So no go area for kids.

The part I keep the hens in is an old pigeon cree (is that right?) complete with sliding louvre door!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 14:34:57 »
Tea? I used to drink gallons of the stuff. Absolutely loved it, best drink in the world. But then it started to disagree with me, now it just makes me vomit. No explanations why, I just drink other stuff instead.

That sounds like a good sturdy bench you have there, with a decent vice to grip onto as well ! I know about benches.

Don't know if the pigeon loft is also called a cree, that is a new term to me.

I presume when you have built your PT (on the cheap of course!) you will present pictures and we can have a grand opening bash !!! I can provide rhubarb wine!

Forgive my prattle, but I am having fun here, nice to have some interesting stuff to gas about.

Cheers everyone ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 14:41:39 »
Ava is good on erections at the allotment, afterall, he built me a splendid shed, compost heaps, and my patented blight stopping, squash supporting tomato tunnel.  Now I have cleared the back end of the plot - my winter job done a little early, a little polytunnel would be a fabulous addition!  Now I know of a huge garden where there once lots of polytunnels, but they have long since run into disrepair and just the frames are left......might be worth knocking on a door and seeing if I could 'acquire' some of the frames.  After that, it will be to my darling to get it up on the plot!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Also going to have a good read of that website, and do some googling.  Bet between us all we could design, plan and erect a tunnel cheaper than that!

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 15:17:51 »

I could kiss ya EJ   ya just put an idea in my head...... :-* :-*

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 15:29:59 »
EJ !!  I nearly cried laughing at your first few words.... ;D

Hey that would be brilliant if you could get those old frames.  Good luck with that. I think your idea about all of us coming through with a cheaper design is spot on. Don't know how much help I'd be though.  Check out OH's first attempt at putting up a new tent lol!

Ooooh I wonder what idea you have given to Jaggy ?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 15:42:14 by Heldi »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 08:26:01 »
I bought a copy of GYO yesterday and lo and behold there is an article about PT's. Lots of very posh ones. Very nice but I couldn't leave one of those on the allotment. 

There's a piece about making a coldframe out of pallet wood. I have plenty of that.  I think I'll give it a go.

Another article has the most delightful looking pumpkins. I showed the young 'uns the pictures yesterday and they thought they were brilliant. I'm going to have to try do something similar.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 10:17:35 »
Heidi   on the web link I gave you there are also instructions on building a cold frame too  :)

Mine is four window frames screwed together but without a lid.  I found a piece of toughened glass on the plot and use that
I came, I saw, I composted

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 15:36:36 »
Have a good look closer to home...

On the site I spend my time there are a couple of greenhouses that are..frame only.

If I wanted yet another greenhouse I would be talking to these owners of 'frame only' greenhouses to see if I could do a deal... covered in plastic sheets I am still tempted but it would be overkill in my case

If you don't ask....

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 16:05:16 »
Heldi,

Someone on this site made a very impressive one.

can't remember who, will search & return...

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 16:09:13 »

Found it!!

It was undercarriage plan, who built one with her OH.

You should have a look, verrry impressive!

Debs

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 16:25:36 »
Well you have plenty of food for thought here Heldi, I suppose I should start to get the rhubarb wine racked and cleared ... for the non beer drinkers like myself ...

Oh, I can provide the music too if you like !  ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 22:28:08 »
Hi Wardy,Derek Debs and Derek !

Wardy I have glanced down the link,saw the diagrams and thought right that's for OH to look at!  He has his own property maintenance business so anything on the constructive side gets given to him to ponder. Yes I'm lazy! He would critise my rubbish efforts.  Don't feel sorry for me though because I give as good as I get heh heh heh!   I haven't got a single pane of glass left on my plot Wardy. All glass is banished. I'm still finding lots of shards though unfortunately.

Derek the frame only greenhouses would be a solution for me. Unfortunately there isn't any!  I think I'd be temted to ask even if I did have two greenhouses already   :)  I'm getting the hording bug.

Funny you should mention music Derek. I was thinking the other day I need a radio or something up at the plot. A little CD player maybe. Don't want a MP3 or a personal type thing as I'd prefer the music to gently waft over to my hens. Get them chilled out as they're sorting out their pecking order and have been a bit excitable. I'm beginning to wonder if Jane hen is actually a James as she was on top of Betty hen making a right hoot and a holler the other day.Maybe I should take my bass up and have a practice in the peace and quiet without OH interuptions,it might give the chooks some good vibes.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 09:16:20 »
Heidi  Hope you husband makes you the PT  :)   I was given a greenhouse in various bits yesterday but have threatened OH it MUST NOT join the other one behind the shed (in bits) but must be put up pronto!  It's called the "Good Life"  ;D 

What about a wind-up radio Heidi?  My old man bought me one for Christmas and it's very good and dead chunky to take the knocks.  I take it with me to the lotty sometimes to listen to the footy on Saturday afternoons as my husband always goes to the match so I get left to mind the plot on my own  :)  I also got one of the Alan Tichmarsh plant pot radios for Chrimble but the battery only lasted two minutes  >:( 
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 09:48:40 »
How did I miss this!!  ::) ::) ::) Thanks for kind words, Debs, but we did bite the bullet and buy a PT kit. So, as much as I'd love to, can't take pat on back for constructing from nothing! No yacht here either, Heidi, just OH's credit card!!! ;D ;D ;D ;) He "investing" in the business, bless him! Good luck with yours. Like your idea for a cold frame, Wardy, have old windows I could use......get to use hammer too.... ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal