Author Topic: Allotment restrictions  (Read 24206 times)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
Re: Allotment restrictions
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2005, 19:08:14 »
For the last 7 years that I have had an allotment in Elton I have been told I wasn't allowed a shed due to Shell having pipes running underground across the site. Bare in mind that this is from the couple who 'run' the allotment and have the only key to the 'communal' shed (despite numerous requests for a key from every other lottie owner)
A few weeks ago I took the matter into my own hands and eventually, via many people, got to talk to 'THE GUY' who oversees all underground fuel pipes. He came and looked at the site and showed me the lie of the pipe, which took up a thousandth of the field and said as long as we don't put a shed directly over the pipe we can have whatever we like!
Haven't managed to tell anyone else yet but I can't believe that all along we could have had a shed.
One 89 year old pushes his wheelbarrow half a mile with all his tools in it including a rotavat or to get to his lottie.
All I need now is a cheap shed ;D

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2005, 19:10:53 »
*Punches the air *  LOTTIES UNITE !    {:¬)#
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2005, 19:42:41 »
It sounds as though you need to get together with people from other sites, and try to get that silly rule reversed. If you can't have anything over 30 whatsits, then presumably you can't have beanpoles either! Talk about stupid.

Ani, you're not the only one who's come across idiots running allotment sites for a power trip. Do you have an Association? If so, I assume they control it. Os there any way of getting them voted off the committee? We got rid of a major troublemaker when someone stood up at the AGM and insisted on standing against her. She'd been there for twenty-odd years, there had never been a contested election, but she sank without trace as soon as people had the choice.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2005, 19:50:52 »
Great news Emma  ;D
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2005, 12:17:20 »
That's great Emma.  All this positive news is due to your persitence.  Well done!  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Bath_Bun

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2005, 14:33:21 »
At the risk of putting my head above the parapet and getting shot down.... I have to say that I totally agree with the local council albeit I do not agree with the way in which it was handled.

My plot is on an insecure site ie it has a public footpath through the centre of the plot and therefore is open to anyone.  We are fortunate and do not have many problems relating to this.  We are overlooked on 3 sides by houses.

I have a young family just 2 plots away from me and those children are allowed to roam exactly where they like when they like.  I am sick and tired of asking the parents to keep the children under control.  If families were allowed to install swings on their sites where would it stop?  Whilst I can understand the problem being discussed relates to one particular plot, the council has to look at sites as a whole.  If every family wanted something similar it would turn into a playground.  Allotments are not safe places for children to play.  What would happen if the child fell off the swing?  It could potentially leave the local council open to litigation.

I am afraid I come from the old school that does not believe that children should be on an allotment unless they are interested in gardening.  Where I am there are several families who have children as young as two who quite happily dig and plant.  They pose no problems whatsoever.  I personally go to my allotment for peace and quiet I do not want hoards of children playing.  My site is for purest allotmenteers and I would suggest that if children want to play they are taken to a proper playground.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2005, 15:27:30 »
Great news Emma - am really pleased for you  ;D

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2005, 21:41:38 »
I am afraid I come from the old school that does not believe that children should be on an allotment unless they are interested in gardening.  Where I am there are several families who have children as young as two who quite happily dig and plant.  They pose no problems whatsoever.  I personally go to my allotment for peace and quiet I do not want hoards of children playing.  My site is for purest allotmenteers and I would suggest that if children want to play they are taken to a proper playground.

So are you saying that people that have young children are not allowed the luxury of an allotment, purely for the fact that their children are not yet interested in gardening?  Unfortunately I do not have the funds to give the responsibility of bringing up my child to someone else - and I would not wish to either! So she will always be with me when I visit my plot and will hopefully grow to love gardening as much as I do. I want her to know where her food comes from and not be like a lot of children these days who think that food magically appears on a shop shelf!

The problem family at your site is most definitely a minority as I am sure most conscientious people would do their best to amuse their children by putting up a swing for example. Maybe you could offer to show these children the stuff growing on your plot and point out the safety issues to them in a polite way? As a child I was allowed to roam where I liked at my granddads small holding, but I was always made aware of the dangers. I never got hurt...except the time a chicken pecked me! lol

I do hope that you will come to accept that people from all walks of life should be just as welcome on the allotments. I do believe we all have something to offer.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2005, 22:20:33 »
We have a couple of people with young kids, and they roam all round the site without ever being a nuisance to anyone. As far as I'm concerned, we should be encouraging kids, and if there's a problem with an odd family, that should be treated as a family problem not a child problem. I just wish I could get my kids down on the plot!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 22:28:10 by Robert_Brenchley »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2005, 23:51:12 »
BB I am sorry you feel that children should be segregated from allotments.  Where do you think that the gardeners/allomenteers of the future will come from if you don't encourage them to find out about growing things?   This applies especially with veggies, as nowadays with prepackaged stuff, children sometimes have no idea where things come from.  I agree children should not be allowed to run riot but that is a different thing altogether. 

Allotments aren't  private clubs but should be open for all to experience, especially families, in my opinion.  I have no axe to grind my children are all grown up now, but I am always pleased to see the littleuns on the site.  I met a new plot holder last week who brought her two boys 8 and 10 to the Site, and they were given a little square each from her plot to cultivate vegetables on. I think this is great and the way to go.  busy_lizzie     
live your days not count your years

Suru

• Not So New ...
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2005, 09:42:56 »
When we took on our allotment one of the first things I asked was if children were allowed.Not only are they allowed ,they are positively welcomed on our site.My little ones are 8 and 10 and already know the rules of 'no running' and 'keep to the paths'.Last week they were having a great time weeding with us and they had a little picnic in between the showers.My children behave well at the allotment and I'm sure most children will if they are enjoying themselves and well occupied.They are looking forward to the site barbecue and bonfire on the 5th November.
Lets not forget, we were all children once!
      Best Wishes Sue

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2005, 13:38:35 »
That's very good news EmmaLou.  I must say that I was a bit surprised when you thought the other allotment holders were stand-offish.  We've got very few who won't stop for a chat, and I suspect that's because they're shy rather than hostile.

And there are certainly quite a few families with children who have plots on our site.  The kids are all well-behaved, and those of an age to do so seem to love to help with planting and even weeding and digging.

Bath_Bun

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2005, 16:11:51 »
As I suspected, I am the only one with the opposite point of view.  As a child I was always encouraged to grow plants and show an interest in the natural world.  I was allowed to roam, but I was taught to respect other people's property.  However, as a general rule, children today are not.  Now I am not suggesting for one minute that your child is allowed to roam wild.  However, with a swing on your plot if other children were to roam and injure themselves, especially while you are not there, both the Council and you would be liable.  This is why council's tend to rule out such equipment. 

I do not wish to ban children from allotments, exactly the opposite, I think they should be encouraged to grow their own food.  I thought the programme by Jamie Oliver where children could not identify a stick of rhubarb was absolutely shocking and a very sad reflection on today's children.

However, due to the very society we live it is not how your own children behave but very much how other's do.  Council's cannot take the risk unfortunately.  Is there anyway of finding some sort of equipment you could take home with you each time?

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2005, 21:51:58 »
Bath_Bun...I agree that children shouldn't be allowed to "roam wild" and shouldn't go onto other plots without being invited. It is the responsibility of the guardians/parents to ensure the child's safety when they bring them to the allotments. If my child wondered onto someone else's plot and injured herself, it would be my fault for allowing her wonder off.

I am sure in time I will not need the swing to amuse her, but at the moment it is all I can do. I do also bring other things to amuse her, but unfortunately at the age of 2 she has an attention span of about 5 minutes. Finding equipment that I could take home each time would be near impossible as it is a struggle getting my daughter and all my tools to my plot as it is!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2005, 14:05:12 »
My four year old is still telling everybody how she helped Daddy dig potatoes - and she wants to know if every potato she eats is one of hers. She is now four and still has a short attention span - luckily, usually when I am up there, there is someone at home or with me who can take her home when she gets bored.  Not everyone has that luxury and I for one would not like to exclude anybody who doesn't. Especially as people with children should be encouraged to grow them fresh veg.  An allotment is not just a place for older, (now) childless people to potter around on growing more than they need and letting most of it rot.  If it is, when they die, lottying will die with them.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2005, 19:56:48 »
Just going back to an earlier post on this thread - why on earth would people find allotments unsightly?  I don't think our site is particularly unusual - you can watch the seasons change, the wildlife go about its business and enjoy the greenery and the quirky constructions.  The average street in my area is nowhere near as attractive, given the general litter, graffiti and built-upedness (sorry, not a word, I know  ;D).  I would love to look out of my window onto an allotment (preferably my own, of course ;D)

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2005, 19:58:52 »
Hi Bath Bun

I think the basis of your position, that most 'kids today' are disrespectful and ignorant almost automatically defeats any point in responding. I'd simply suggest that this comes across as an attitude based on fear rather than experience.

I also strongly believe that the upsurge in interest in allotmenting by young parents (and their children) is a hugely optimistic trend.

Perhaps in a moral sense they don't have to justify their presence on the allotments to you, but vice versa?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2005, 10:57:25 »
Amen
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2005, 10:40:32 »
Certainly a hot topic.  Emma Lou, would you be able to install a sand pit?  we have a cheap wooden one from B&Q on our plot and junior loves it.  it has a rain proof cover so we can keep small toys in there permanently.  As for your littl'un, i know you have to have eyes in the back of your head, but on taking on a second plot this month, i took junior by the hand, showed him the boundaries, explained how important it was not to go outside the boundaries without permission.  showed him the gooseberry bushes, told him what they were and what we do with the fruit, but also explained that they are very spikey, showed him the thorns, and told him to be careful whilst playing around them.  i basically spent an hour spelling out the 'rules of the plot'.  he seemed to understand, and has certainly stuck to the rules.  sometimes its easy to forget that toddlers need every detail explaining to them (repeatedly, cos they do forget).  and when he is naughty, we have a naughty chair!  the other plot holders love him being around, and ask about him when he's not there.  i don't think he has upset anyone, including the allotment neighbour he asked if he was a scarecrow!!!

hope this helps!
It'll be better next year

djc1allottment

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkin Time!
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2005, 13:33:12 »
I would keep the swing on your allottment.  Plant some nice things around it to make it look 'attractive'. 

Contact you local Town Councillor if you are still getting hastle from the Town Clerk and ask them for their viewpoint. 

There may be a reasonable planning ground on which such structures are banned, a complaint may have been recieved from another plot holder or the Town Clerk was just being over zealous. 

Hopefully your local Councillor can ensure that reasonable discretion is followed in this issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal