Author Topic: Allotment restrictions  (Read 23858 times)

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Re: Allotment restrictions
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2005, 19:50:32 »
Certainly a hot topic.  Emma Lou, would you be able to install a sand pit?  we have a cheap wooden one from B&Q on our plot and junior loves it.  it has a rain proof cover so we can keep small toys in there permanently.  As for your littl'un, i know you have to have eyes in the back of your head, but on taking on a second plot this month, i took junior by the hand, showed him the boundaries, explained how important it was not to go outside the boundaries without permission.  showed him the gooseberry bushes, told him what they were and what we do with the fruit, but also explained that they are very spikey, showed him the thorns, and told him to be careful whilst playing around them.  i basically spent an hour spelling out the 'rules of the plot'.  he seemed to understand, and has certainly stuck to the rules.  sometimes its easy to forget that toddlers need every detail explaining to them (repeatedly, cos they do forget).  and when he is naughty, we have a naughty chair!  the other plot holders love him being around, and ask about him when he's not there.  i don't think he has upset anyone, including the allotment neighbour he asked if he was a scarecrow!!!

hope this helps!

Sounds like an effective strategy fbgrifter. Toddlers like to know the rules, I think it helps them feel in control of what they are doing, and gives them confidence. They seem to love to help, and to be involved in the gardening. In the summer I overdid the praise when cameron was doing some weeding. The next thing I knew he had half the courgettes up! He was ever so proud, thought he had nabbed the biggest weeds on the plot. I tried to explain the difference between weeds and plants, but its a difficult concept for a (then) 18 month old to grasp. His hoeing has been supervised closely since then!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2005, 10:06:12 »
i had the same prblem C&B, now all that can be heard on our plot is, " mummy, is this a weed?  is this a weed?  is this a weed? (cont. ad infinitum!)"
It'll be better next year

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2005, 18:55:38 »
My neighbouring lottie holder has his plot as an extention of his garden.  There are high privet hedges dividing each plot so we are not troubled when his grandchildren are playing in the lottie/garden.  All we can here is the laughter of children playing.  Which, for me, is far better than them playing on the streets and getting up to mischief.  I think children should be encouraged on allotments, but not allowed to roam around. For others it is a haven of peace and tranquility.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2005, 00:36:56 »
Well done EmmaLou - sounds like your perseverance has paid off :)
I took my 14 month old to my lotty today and he helped me plant some tulip bulbs - i was sooooo thrilled. I dug the holes and after he saw me drop one or two bulbs into holes he soon got the idea and joined in with gusto ;D
He's still very young to understand a lot but i always tell him he's to wait for me before walking anywhere on site and that we only walk on paths, also that he must NEVER eat anything unless i give it to him. Hopefully starting as we mean to go on will mean he soon gets to grips with lotty life.
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Bath_Bun

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2005, 11:33:04 »
No-one has to justify their existence on an allotment to me, but I am basing my views on experience both past and existing.  If a child not on their own family's allotment falls onto a cold frame, greenhouse, swing, etc and injures themself the Council can be held responsible.  They are responsible for ensuring safety in general.  Likewise my view on children on allotments is based on experience.  Most hate being there/have a short attention span and they wander around causing problems.  Councils do not single out individuals in my experience they are protecting their position as a whole (rightly or wrongly).  I have a family with children a couple of plots from my who clearly are bored and are allowed to roam around over other peoples plots.  They show no respect for the hard work put in by other people.  If Councils get complaints in this respect they will devise a set of rules to cover everyone.  This I would imagine is what has happened in the original case.  Unfortunately what are probably the minority ruin it for the majority as always.  I have friends who work for the local Council and have told me of some crazy claims which have been submitted against the Council and have won.  Likewise, if a child/person were to injure themselves on your swing they would be able to sue both you and the Council.  Personally I believe that in this case if someone was on your allotment without permission and injured themselves it would be tough luck but unfortunately this is not the way the system works in this country these days.

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2005, 11:59:47 »
Tree house shed not a good idea....but could chain myself to it if they tried to destroy it.....no, just hidden....maybe troglodite? :P

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2005, 22:25:27 »
OKas long as the plot doesn't get waterlogged. Someone tried to put an Anderson shelter (partly underground) on my plot during the war, and it got hopelessly flooded. When I was doing the stream bank I found some rusty bits of incredibly thick corrugated iron which I was told were used to build the things.

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2005, 13:32:38 »
That's great news EmmaLou.  Kids are the future of allotments and have to be encouraged.
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2005, 08:58:27 »
I think that children should be allowed to go on to allotments, its no good saying that the kids today do not want to learn anything like we used to do or help out  like we used to do (or have to),  and then stopping them coming on allotments they are ,are future and should be encouraged.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal