Produce > Edible Plants

Bean feast

(1/2) > >>

gavin:
I'm a very happy man tonight!  Anybody else here like middle eastern cooking?  I've just found something out.

I had (I thought) far too many broad beans back in July, so I cut several plants and hung them to dry.  Shelled them today, and I'm cooking them now - a huge pot of them, very, very slowly.

Why so happy?  They're the same bean as the Ful Bean of the Middle East - same colour, same cooking technique, and .... and ......  and ........... they taste right!  The same substantial, almost meaty taste I grew to love when I lived in Egypt and Yemen.

No more tins of Chinese imitations.  And a lot more beans to grow next year!

They'll be ready in time for a proper Egyptian breakfast -  eeeh, I'll not sleep!

All best - Gavin.

Hot_Potato:
:)Hi Gavin.....I've never had middle eastern fayre....but you've made it sound so good.....I'm envious.....ENJOY... :P....H.P.

P.S. Apart from beans...what else is in the pot - if anything?

budgiebreeder:
You've made my mouth water Gavin. i've been to Egypt several times and loved the food.

gavin:
Not just happy, but well stuffed - very, very full indeed.  Just plain simple Egyptian style ful, with pitta bread and a salad.  And it tasted right.

I'll work up some of the different recipes I know - everywhere I went in the middle east used this staple in a different way.

What were you doing in Egypt, budgiebreeder?

All best - Gavin

budgiebreeder:
Just Holidaying  you know ,like having fun ,enjoying myself,dining out and studying the culture.May go again next Spring can't seem to keep away it's like a bug.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version