Author Topic: chickens on lottie???  (Read 2255 times)

lorz

• Not So New ...
chickens on lottie???
« on: October 03, 2005, 18:42:57 »
am new (still) to the allotments and am still trying to fight the (neverending, or so it seems) battle with the weeds however have now got my plot to a suitable state and am wondering if i can keep chickens, has anyone heard of keeping chickens on the lottie, please help me as i don't even know who to ask!!, you guys were the first people i thought of to ask so plz help.

thanx
lorz
X
Lorz XX :) :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: chickens on lottie???
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 08:46:32 »
Several people on my site do. Check your site rules; it's traditional so it's usually allowed, though there are often rules against keeping cockerels.

I'm finding the light coloured print you use hard to read, by the way.

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 12:20:35 »
Yeah, that pink is a little painful!

We are allowed hens only on our lottie, though at present nobody does.  I have a hen house but am working on a fox-proof run as there seem to be several of them around.  The guy at the end of our row gave up keeping hens after 15 of his were killed in one night :(

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 12:54:19 »
Don't know about hard to read Robert, I can't read that pink at all but perhaps it's my age ;D

Our council who own the lottie plots locally don't allow livestock at all, or trees for that matter.  Don't know whether this has any relevance.....

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 16:17:18 »
You need to speak to the allotment manager as he will know. I keep chickens but they are in our back garden.

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 16:30:27 »
Hi Lorz

Where are you based??

I came across an interesting thing regarding the keeping of chickens . According to the 1950 allotment act it is lawfull for any tenant to keep chickens .
 Have a look at WWW. northamptonallotments.co.uk

I have 5 at home and the girls practically look after them selves.

Go for it , I went for  Hybrids , Ranger, Buttercup,White amber and two others that there name escapes me at the moment.

Have  fun and good luck

Alan

As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 20:52:52 »
hi lorz
it may sound good to keep them but after all the feed & mucking out i found it was cheaper to by the eggs.
PS Had them for 5 years.
Good fun but no return
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 20:55:48 by TEL »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 20:59:16 »
Ask your site manager or check the small print of your by-laws. We can keep chickens so long as we promise to look after them (I thought this was silly until I read threads about people leaving dead chickens for days!). We just have to write for permission.
I am still looking for a free Colditz to house them though, so no chix yet! :'(

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 20:31:56 »
Can't reply cos can't read it ...
Cheers .. Jim

lorz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 17:33:26 »
hi again
thanx for all your suggestions i will try talking to the site manager. sorry about the colour did try and change it but couldn't work out how to so i guess the pink stayed. thatnks agin for all you help.

im in knaphill, woking, surrey by creston avenue if anyone knows it i think that treehugger, whoever he is is on the same site as me

thanx again
lorz
X
Lorz XX :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal