Produce > Edible Plants

which crops do you stagger sowing?

(1/2) > >>

rdak:
Does anyone stagger sowing of a crop to extend the harvesting season?
If so, which crops is it worth doing for and which not (i.e. those that tend to keep well)?
thanks

cleo:
I stagger peas,beans cucumbers,florence fennel, all salad crops, beetroot-in fact most things apart from spuds and parsnips.

Stephan.

Mrs Ava:
Well, I stagger most things really - more due to time than anything else - with two young kids, time at the lottie can be short and sweet so sowings are made in fits and starts!  Salad crops are best staggered, you can't possibly want 30 lettuce all in one weekend!  I found that staggering beans made no difference, they all started cropping at the same time, and I am still picking the last now!  I would probably say root crops aren't so bad as you can use the first picking - the thinnings - as babies and then pick as you need, the remaining getting larger and larger.  What do the rest of you think?  ;D

jethro:
Same as Cleo plus onions, although i don't like beetroot, that might have something to do with the way the wife cooks it :-X .

EJ wish i had time, tooooooo much work on at the moment what with the house, work  >:( and the wife  ::), not enough hours in the day for me  :-X .

jethro:
rdak where's your picture gone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version