Author Topic: what have you got (pets)  (Read 17179 times)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re: what have you got (pets)
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2005, 21:33:37 »
Good luck to Meg and Cleo Waggi.  Let us know how they get on :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2005, 14:48:19 »
Hi Agapanthus.

I've found these ppics on the net. I haven't managed to get a good picture of Tallulah as she won't keep still. All my pics are of her scarpering !

The first picture is of a White Star hen. A leghorn type apparently.  The second picture is of a Sussex Star. Never heard of them but Tallulah looks more like that one than the White Star and since the bloke I got the hens off keeps White Stars, Light Sussex and Bovan Neras I guess she'll be a mix of those somewhere along the line!  Who knows? She's a funny 'un!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2005, 20:05:19 »
Oh Wardy!! Butter wouldn't melt!!! Bless him! He's no bother at all, wot you on about??? How is my favourite mutt tonight? Still in dog house...... ;D ;D ;D ;)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2005, 21:15:38 »
For Lotty

Russ on the allotment
Finally done him in then?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2005, 23:07:19 »
LOL!! No!! He sweetie!! Just tranquilized, I hope.... Wardy?  ???

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2005, 13:52:15 »
We have two silver-laced bantum chooks, rose (with a rose comb) and spike (with a spike comb....obviously!)...

But I REALLY want some quails, the babies are the size of bumblebees and I've read about keeping them in a polytunnel/greenhouse (well ventilated) to keep the soil free from pests...
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2005, 13:58:33 »
Tell me more, Truffle!! Sounds like a great idea, do they not nibble on plants in PT?
Lottie  ;D

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2005, 09:28:11 »
I guess, similar to chooks, they probably would. But you could rotate them around your polytunnel to patches where the ground needs clearing of pests and/or there are no seedlings. I think they would make an awesome addition to your PT!!

Also, if you hatch them yourself they should imprint on you and follow you everywhere,

I'm seriously considering buying some fertilized eggs from ebay (~£2 for 12),

Come on lottie lets see a trial in your PT! ;D
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2005, 13:15:27 »
OK! LOL!! Will do it  ;D ;D ;D But just found myself on ebay about to buy, when suddenly realized I had not a clue!! So exited sharpish, but have been busy!! Have got hold of an incubator, and chap who'll help and advise me. But I'll have to wait for bit, cos haven't heard from council yet, and would be awful to get them and then lose PT  :'(...Have also come across the "What you want to do that for?" Brigade, am ignoring them at min....will let you know progess, which may be pitifully slow.... And try mashing slugs, Wardy, sure he'll go for it!! But ask slugs first.....only those who agree....may be few unhappy ones about.... ;D ;)
Lottie

undercarriage plan

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2005, 14:51:42 »
Aww don't Wards!! LOL!! Am finding this cunning plan very hard to sell to peeps!! And still haven't thought of cunning way of selling it to my sensible OH!!! In my head, and it's pretty busy in there...., Had them hatching in incubator in bedroom, then moved to cardboard box in conservatory, then little run in garden and eventually to PT!!! But whereas it's all so simple in my head, I get all problems pointed out!! Which aren't really problems to me!!Have 3 hrs to come up with brilliant plan!! Am thinking I'll probably do what normally do, keep nodding and smiling while placing order..... ;D ;D ;D where there's a will and all that!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2005, 21:24:23 »
Update on quail situation.... ::) OH is fine with it, much to my amazement and shock!! He seems to be under the impression that I'm just asking out of politeness and will go ahead anyway.... ;D Bless.....or looking forward to eggs!! So all systems chugging forward at a slow but relentless pace.....ish!
Lottie  ;D

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2005, 00:16:22 »

This will become addictive if you start....mark my words only thing that is
  wrong is your timing...would have been better to start in the summer !!
  to get them acclimatised to outside temperatures....but it can still be done
  lets start by assuming you have incubator....your eggs hatch....best way
  to do it is by getting a plastic fish tank with vents on top..the way I see it
  done...and have done it myself too is to have a small pygmy spotlight
  shining down into the tank...you will soon know if its too cool for them
  because they will all huddle together.... same goes if they become too hot
  they will tend to go to the perimeters of the tank...you need chick crumbs
 for feed and whatever you do never repeat never...put a deep drinking vessel in plastic milk top is best and just enough to cover the surface not
  fill it up..seen 1 drown in 1 sec flat that was enough of an eye opener....

Bare in mind they will be no bigger than the top of your thumb joint when
  born...they are just like kids...watch they don't get a dirty bum or they bung
  up...which in turn causes problems you will need to have them in the tank
  about 2-3 weeks....longer the better....If you don't change the flooring
  (which in my case was small wood shavings) every couple of days...just like
  kids sometimes...they stink!!!! the hard part to judge is when to start  taking
  away the heat source during the day...and putting it back at night ...its
  never the same with each hatching...and you may find you will get a lot
  of visitorswhen word gets around  you got chicks...lol...its great to watch
  the little things break out from the eggs...I sat and watched about 20
 hatching out over about an hour last week and within about 2 or 3 minutes
  they are running about like lil drunk men...the antics are riveting to watch...

Oh and when you do get them into the PT'S you will need to leave some
  sort of shelter for them...they will lay their eggs just about anywhere
  and they are messy eatersand this is the part that may put you off
  they will need chick crumbs to go along with whatever they manage to
 scavenge in your PT...and chick crumbs are loved by all vermin I am afraid

Sorry to be a pooper with that last bit...just to let you know ::) ::)

I wish you luck in your venture if you go ahead with it

P.S...if you don't...at least give them a go at hatching them if you have
    kids

Kevin

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2005, 09:09:26 »
Wow!!!

Good info Kevin..

I think I'm definitely going to have to join you Lottie and get some quails, although I'll have to wait until the 2nd of December as I'm going away for a week.

We'll done lottie on convincing your OH and I look forward to pics of the hatching chicks...

undercarriage plan

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2005, 09:14:19 »
Blimey Jags!! You are now officially resident quail expert!! I was expecting a real battle, Truffle, but think he's finally realized that best way is to just let me get on with it!! I can on special occasions be quite sensible in a weird kinda way....anyway don't want to hog this thread so will start quail one...And want pics of your too!! And how come you don't have to do any convincing????
Lottie  ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2005, 00:25:07 »
I have a lovely springer spaniel called Meggie who is 6 years old and a tabby cat Kylie who is 15.  I have one 6 month old Welsummer cockerel raised at home in an incubator and 14 hens of assorted breeds and ages. 

Meggie gets on well with Kylie but chases the chickens given half the chance.  She used to round them up and herd them up and down the paddock.  I had to fence them in eventually but, unfortunately, I lost a few of my chicks when they were a couple of months old.  Two got out under the fence and Meggie killed them.  Some of the others disappeared from within the enclosure when I was on holiday and I assume they were taken by buzzards.  I put nets over the run and haven't lost any since.

Meggie is delightful though and loves to sit on our laps to have cuddles.  She is so intelligent and her understanding of language is vast.  She is very spoilt of course.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2005, 20:25:08 »
Pauline, have you not ever seen a transcript of human conversation as heard by a dog -

"Blah blah blah Meggie, blah blah blah blah blah dinner.  Blah blah blah blah blah walk. Blah blah blah blah blah blah Meggie."

Now you know  ;D

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2005, 20:45:10 »
That'll be Donna Nook and Sutton on Sea then.  Hope you had a good time Wardy - it was a bit braw up on the hills (pimples) today.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2005, 16:51:22 »
Wardy. I know Russ is a good age but do hope he is looking/feeling better now. I must admit I do have a few moans about Elsa but we do get so attached. When she was ill earlier in the year I was so worried. Love to Russ.    Lorna.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2005, 18:54:25 »
Aww Wards, give Russ a hug and choc button from me...see, you love 'im really....you ol' softie....
Lottie

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2005, 06:19:49 »
Crikey Wardy what a worry - lots and of cuddles to Russ x
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal