Author Topic: carrots to you  (Read 2836 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
carrots to you
« on: October 03, 2005, 10:40:28 »
Here are our carrots! Be kind lol,it's our first attempt.  My son sowed them into containers and my daughter has watered them. So in otherwords they've been left to their own devises. Had to get them out this morning as dog was trying to pick them for herself...she's a carrot thief.

Early Nantes 2 and Paris Market.

BIG THANKS to Multiveg for sending the Paris Market seeds to me.  ;D ;D I've pulled some up earlier and had to convince OH that they are meant to look like that. Had to dig out the seed packet in the end.

P.S they are being modelled by Mr Shark.  

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: carrots to you
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:47:37 »
They look jolly good to me Heldi - and I approve of your Leffe glass too, but it's empty!
Obxx - Vendée France

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 11:06:53 »
looking good heldi, love the cookie jar

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 11:30:33 »
Beginner's luck? Hope it lasts, to show that it's TLC!

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 11:40:06 »
look good enough to eat ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 12:07:18 »
Ofcourse it's empty Obby!

Thankyou for your kind comments (phew).  Well,we've tried containers so will be venturing into the allotment next year. I'm nervous it seems such a big step!

Erm,can I use the compost in the containers for anything else...asking before I dump it into the compost bin?

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 12:52:07 »
Those are great looking carrots, Heldi! Well done you. I have some rather weedy looking, small container grown carrots but shall try again next year. Like Obbelix, I noticed the empty Leffe glass!! That reminds me - I have a large bottle of Leffe in the fridge at the moment. Looking forward to later now!

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 19:30:58 »
Oh Heldi your carrots look so yummy! But you do seem to have some bizzare things in your kitchen: a cookie munching shark, and that cheeky "gnome" sailor to name but two!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 20:31:37 »
Brill carrots Heidi  :)   I got some Paris Market seeds too and had right good results with them.  I wanted those as you know I don't do fine tilths or deeply dug soil so they were just the thing.  Don't taste bad either but I reckon they tasted better cooked to raw - but maybe that's just me  :)

Unlike your glass, mine is full but just about to be emptied methinks  :)  Some kind soul was having a clear out of his wine cellar (garage to you and me) and he gave my OH loads of bottles.  There looks to be some right goodies amongst em  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 21:59:25 »
Lord Steve I have nowt left to put in me Leffe glass  :( Actually those glasses are too big to fit into my cupboard so they are sat there until I either use 'em or find them a home. Thats my excuse...no it's not because they not out of action long enough to warrant putting them away...honest!

Plocket my poor shark used to do the jaws music when he was opened but alas he fell on his head and has never been right since! So the cookies get nicked and I'm non the wiser.  I also have a cow kettle on top of the extractor fan. Well... I hate my kitchen, it needs distractons!

Ooooh Wardy you lucky thing! My cellar (wine rack) has one bottle in it. It's a non alcoholic wine bought for someone else and it has been forgotten about. It'll be there for years now!

Had some of both carrots this evening and by golly they were nice.  Excited to start trying out more veg on the lottie.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 22:41:52 »
Excellent carrots Heldi, they look like beauties.  Congratulations on a brilliant harvest.  Bet they tasted fantastic.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 23:10:23 »
Heldi
I am not to keen on carrots but they look good enough to eat for me. Can't see anything wrong with them. Great crop. :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 09:33:17 »
Heidi  Sounds exciting just to be starting with the veggies on the plot after all your hard work shifting all that crap.  I have got loads of seeds on order and loads in fridge so if you need anything just holler.

I've got some cabbage Hispi and Cauli All Year Round which I'm going to sow but I think they'll need to be in a coldframe.  Er don't have one.  Will make one  ;D 

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 11:02:18 »
Thanks Busy Liz and joji.  They were very tastey. Very carrotty! I hadn't tasted anything like that since I was a child. Yummy  :D

Yes a coldframe would be good Wardy.  Need to get on to that myself.Have wanted one for years for the back garden but haven't had the space. Tell you what  I really fancy, is one of those pollytunnel things. Those big ones that you can walk into. Don't know how to make them though. Some plots have them on where I am. I was talking to my neighbour who has a plot just down from mine and he said the guys who have them swear by them...but he wasn't certain how to put one up either. I feel a search and then maybe a question is in order.

Thanks for your seeds offer Wardy that's very kind of you  ;D.  Trouble is I don't know what to start with,or when really. I have been a bit overwhelmed by the seed catalogues! ??? I do have an old compost heap earmarked for pumpkins...that is the only definate decision I have made!  ::) ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 11:08:22 »
Heidi   I posted a link on A4A somewhere about building your own PT and the instructions were on a website (do a search on here) as I gave the web link.   I printed it off and shoved it under my husband's nose and he said it looked easy.  yeah right!  Why haven't I got one then  >:(

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 15:17:50 »
Cheers Wardy!

I have tried the search...that thing hates me I never can find what I blinking want.  I'll try again later otherwise I shall go nutty.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 17:06:46 »
Can't find it...I am a pathetic user of the search facility

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 19:38:35 »
try searching on the web for this:-

www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Projects/polytunnel/polytunnel.htm

Try that Heids and if no luck I can send you a photocopy  :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 11:31:38 »
Thanks Wardy,I shall shove that under a certain person's nose.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal