Author Topic: Eating your weeds  (Read 4086 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Eating your weeds
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 20:48:56 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ooooooooh couch beer!!!!!
I knew that someone would know a decent recipe!! Way to go Bupster!!

;)

clara

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2005, 23:21:27 »
Dandelion in French is 'pissenlit'  (en lit means in bed ....) So take care!

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2005, 03:52:37 »
Hi All,
         I agree with Clara, Couchgrass and Dandelion are both powerful diuretic herbs and would also state that people with weak bladders should steer clear of these herbs. (both have the common title wet the bed)::)

Anyone who has an interest in using herbs or making herbal beers should purchase the following books:-

The Holistic Herbal by David Hoffmann(Element Books)

Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers by Stephen Harrod Buhner(An Imprint of Brewers Publications)

Although herbs have healing properties it is essential that you know the quantities and whether they require to be dried before they can safely be used.

Herbs can Kill as well as cure, I would also caution anyone who is on medication to be cautious as some herbs can increase or decrease the effect of the medication they are taking. ;)

I don't want to be a killjoy, but a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. ::)

There was someone not so long ago who was looking for a recipe for Tansy wine and had he not been warned of the poisonous effects of long term usage or large scale ingestion of this herb he could have seriously damaged his health. :(

PREMTAL

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2005, 10:56:46 »
A sound note of caution - thanks Premtal  :)
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2005, 11:15:59 »
I used to work at a colliery and when I left  a guy gave me a fabulous herbal book for stock animals and it lists all the various herbs and hedgerow plants etc used by peasant farmers all over the world.  He kept sheep on the grassed over pit tip and he swore by this book.  Fascinating stuff  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal