Author Topic: A Wednesday Groaner  (Read 1603 times)

Hugh_Jones

A Wednesday Groaner
« on: October 22, 2003, 21:31:49 »
As a private in the East Loamshires, Bill was experiencing his first taste of battle.  "Now lads" said the sergeant, "We`ve got to capture That hilltop over there come what may"..   After several hours of intense fighting and heavy casualties the platoon finally captured hill, and the sergeant radioed the news to H.Q.  However, as he switched off his radio, he said "Sorry lads, but we`ve been ordered to withdraw to our last position",  and the platoon fought its way back.  Confused by all this, Bill asked the sergeant why, and the sergeant shook his head and said "It`s not for a mere NCO to understand the big picture".

Bill applied all his talents to being a good soldier, and soon he was promoted - first to corporal, then to sergeant.  On his first day as a sergeant he asked the RSM what the big picture was.   The RSM shook his head, and said "You have to be an officer to understand the big picture".  So Bill applied for an Officers` Training course, passed, and became a 2nd Lieutenant, and on his first day in his new regiment he asked his Company Commander about the Big Picture.  The major shook his head, and said "You have to be on the General Staff to understand the Big Picture".    So Bill applied for every training course he could and passed them all, being rapidly promoted to captain, then major, then Lt. Colonel and then Colonel, at which stage he was sent to Staff College, where he passed with flying colours and was posted to Brigade HQ.  On his first day there he asked the Brigadier about the Big Picture.  The Brigadier shook his head and said "I`m afraid understanding the Big Picture is only for the General Staff".   So Bill worked his hardest again, and was again promoted - first to Brigadier, then to Major General, and finally joined the General Staff.   At his first meeting he asked the CIGS about the Big Picture.   The CIGS shook his head sadly, and said "It`s not for mere soldiers to understand the Big Picture.  That`s only for the politicians"

Thoroughly fed up, Bill resigned his commission and stood as a candidate in the next general election.  He was elected MP, made a first class maiden speech, worked hard, and soon became a junior minister.  On his first day at the Ministry he asked the Permanent Secretary about the Big Picture.  The Permanent Secretary shook his head and said "I`m afraid The Big Picture is for senior Cabinet members only".  So Bill worked hard in the party, made a brilliant speech at the Party Conference and became “the coming man”. A month later the Prime Minister died of a heart attack, and Bill was promptly elected party leader and Prime Minister with (to his surprise) the unanimous support of the whole Cabinet.  "At last" he thought.  "Now I shall find out", and on his first day in office he called a Cabinet meeting.  Looking at his Ministers, he said “Now gentlemen. Tell me about the big picture”

The Ministers looked at one another in dismay.  Finally the Chancellor of the Exchequer spoke………

"Oh no! Were you on that bl..dy hilltop as well?"
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: A Wednesday Groaner
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 01:35:40 »
Hugh, where do you get them all from?  Very good, though, I'm not complaining!   ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: A Wednesday Groaner
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 01:49:53 »
Oh Hugh so true with the forces
Sons going to love that one he's in the Army
Thanks
Teresa

anything