Author Topic: Jasmine - moving?  (Read 9879 times)

Zed42

• Not So New ...
Jasmine - moving?
« on: September 28, 2005, 22:32:21 »
I inherited the jasmine when I moved in 2yrs ago.

It is currently flowering, so I know I can't do anything immediately ...

But, I want to move it .... can I do this? How? Should I take cuttings? How?

All advice gratefully received.

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Re: Jasmine - moving?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 08:21:13 »
Jasmine are as tough as they come, no matter which way you go, transplant or cutting wont really matter!! why not take some cuttings even now whilst its in flower and then by the time the flowers have died away your cuttings may well have taken!! then move the plant itself after a serious pruning!!
Cheers KevB ;D
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 09:03:53 »
Some of the Summer flowering jasmines are not as easy to root from cuttings as say the Winter one (J. nudiflorum). I would suggest as well as taking precautionary cuttings, try also laying down a branch and layering it. (Scratch off the surface of the bark under neath a leaf joint or two or three and peg the branch down so the scraped bit is on or just under the soil surface).
When you do come to move it, Jasmine can be cut back as hard as you like and while it may take a season the regrow to any height,it usually does. Also the roots do go a long way down, so be prepared for some deep digging.
Gardening is the great leveller.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 09:47:13 »
Jasmine should come with a warning notice attached to the plants? ha ha
I tried to move my mums years ago a winter flowering one.
I broke her spade and fork handles so ended up pruning it back. My old house I had one and it use to have aerial roots up the stem gave them away as cutting and they grew fine.
I trained mine up a trellis to keep it tidy with string and pruning she did not mined. Think control is the name of the game with the winter one ha ha good luck.

Zed42

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 19:16:11 »
Many thanks for all your advice .... I shall take some cuttings now and prune/move later.

Unfortunately I cannot try the layering technique as it is in the middle of a patio area and hence no soil to lay it into.

Thanks again.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 19:44:25 »
Layer into plant pots of compost?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 22:03:48 »
have a look down the stems for white little lumps ( I am very techinal ha) but these are the roots of the future. Cut below and insert in the ground they will root.
In the middle of patio ? hope you have a good strong spade and fork. You could try to loosen the soil it is in and get a piece out with  a little root ( Irishman cuttings) as mum would say.
let us  know how you get on.

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 13:23:09 »
i took a few cuttings of J. officinale that's in my parents' garden less than a month ago, i put them in a pot of gritty compost with a lemonade bottle cloche and the roots are out the bottom already!
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 15:31:20 »
J. officinale is a failry easy one, the variegated forms of most things are harder.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal