Author Topic: Erecting a greenhouse  (Read 4665 times)

murielh

• Not So New ...
Erecting a greenhouse
« on: September 12, 2005, 14:56:07 »
I want to erect a green house on my allotment,can anyone give me any ideas on the best position for it would be.

undercarriage plan

Re: Erecting a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 15:04:45 »
Hey Muriel, looked into this for the PT. Best in open position, for good light all year, bit of shelter from wind if possible, for best light supposed to have if length running North to South, but also heard East to West, so that not much help  ::) ::) ::), erm not under a tree (branches, light etc). Mine is running East to West but that's purely cos that's the only position suitable, and for the winter sun, cos hope to overwinter some exotics there. Hope this helps. Lottie  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 15:23:35 »
Not being convinced of the importance of the alignment, I sited my greenhouse purely on practical considerations. As already mentioned, light and prevailing winds are probably the most important issues, if possible, positioning the door on the sheltered side. Ease of access is also a consideration, particularly when humping lots of water ... I have now planted a tayberry on the shady side, hope it is happy there.

I hope this is at least of some help . . .

Derekthefox :D

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 20:22:06 »
i put mine so my potting bench wwould be sat in full sun and then the growbag area etc behind that. then in full sun, also as far back from the rest of the stuff as possible so not to cast a shadow on anything. also dont put in a too exposed site, if you do may be worth gettng some wind stuff at one side where the prevailing wind comes form just to protect it. Also make sure the ground is level around. it wont be funny fi your working around it with a wheelbarrow and the wheelbarrow is ustable and falls into the greenhouse.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 08:32:49 »
Hi

I'm quite fortunate in that I have two greenhouses, the point being is that one runs north-south and the other east-west, both in the same part of the garden.  The amount of sun (light) differs in each GH, but to be honest over the course of the day it seems to balance out.  I grow tomatoes, chillies and peppers in both and at the end of the growing season I get pretty much the same size crop from either of them.  I would go for what is the most convenient.

Regards

MikeB

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 07:31:08 »
The wind has to be a serious consideration ....I have seen a greenhouse 'explode' when the wind got into it cascading glass over five allotments.. Spectacular certainly but devastating for the owner..
The frame was twisted so much he just scrunched (technical term) it up and wheeled it onto the tip.

I wondered if some of the windbreak netting either spread over the greenhouse or as a separate windbreak would help?

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 10:58:59 »
Hi Mirielh,i'm doing a gardening course at this moment so hope this info helps,
Siting a greenhouse,
OPEN POSITION
Avoid a position where the greenhouse is shaded by overhanging trees or other buildings.Consider the position at all seasons.Good light in winter can be vital to the success of some plants.
SHELTER FROM WIND
If the site is not sheltered the greenhouse could at worst,become a wind tunnel. At best ,the wind will reduce the ambient temperature and make the greenhouse more expensive to heat. Awindbreak can be used to provide shelter if necessary.
AVOID FROST POCKETS
Frost rolls downhill so avoid depressions.
ACCESS
If possible, provide access by means of an even,solid path.
CLOSE TO WATER AND ELECTRICTY
Awater supply will be needed in or near the greenhouse. electrictiy may be required for heating,lighting or running any equipment.
ORIENTATION
For the most even light distribution it is best to have the length of the greenhouse running North to South, although East to West is better for Winter light. The best opition will depend on the main purpose of the greenhouse.
all the best
windy
my allotment
heaven

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 19:56:19 »
Bet you pass! Lottie  :)

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 21:22:59 »
hi lottie trying very hard,
thanks
windy ;D
my allotment
heaven

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 21:50:40 »
Well if you need any practise in erecting a PT me, Dibs and Bob know of somewhere......... ;D Lottie

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 12:32:04 »
we certainly do lottie  :) :) :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal