Author Topic: wood lice  (Read 1647 times)

chuff

• Half Acre
wood lice
« on: September 27, 2005, 21:45:01 »
Hi everybody, This all new to me so I have lots of questions.
On my new plot I have a very high population of wood lice, at the moment im not growing anything just clearing and getting things ready for next year, the plot has been completely cover with black polythene and the wood lice are munching there way through all the decaying matter underneath, my question is because there is such a large number of them will they cause me a problem in the future? I would hate to turn up at my lottie and find that they have eaten the shed :'(

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: wood lice
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 22:09:12 »
Have a look at this thread - its about 4 pages back.

Iain

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,11819.0.html
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: wood lice
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 22:10:49 »
They are primary creators of compost from decaying plant matter, which is what they eat. They only become a problem when there is not enough decaying plant matter for them to eat when the may attack seedlings etc. However since they like darkness and damp you should find thathen you remove the plastic and expose the soil to the light they will toddle off somewhere else, like you compost heap most likely.
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal