Author Topic: Last of my tom harvest  (Read 2425 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Last of my tom harvest
« on: September 30, 2005, 14:17:53 »
Have been to the lottie and cleared half of my greenhouse out and collected all the tomatoes left.  The red ones we are going to make a Tomato and Chilli Relish with and some Pasta Sauce and the greens some Chutney.  There we are for another year.  Only some late cucumbers and the grape vine left in the lottie greenhouse now.  busy_lizzie

live your days not count your years

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
Re: Last of my tom harvest
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 14:23:06 »
i harvested my last toms and composted the plants on tuesday - felt very sad  :'(
still, next year with lotty and all will have millions of toms :)
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 15:15:13 »
It bugs me when the tomatoes are finished as it's an acceptance of colder weather and we have to BUY our tomatoes  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 15:26:38 »
What are the red ones, bl?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 23:48:34 »
Tim, they are the good old standyby "moneymaker".  They weren't all that tasty and so we are going to try something different next year. busy_lizzie

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 23:20:05 »
Cor have you realy finished already BL? Mine are still going strong-ish (in the greenhouse at least) As I grow most of mine in pots I can move them about. Most are now tucked up nice and warm in the greenhouse! From 5 planted inside the 'house, i now have 12 in there, cramed in chock a block btut they should be Ok like that untill they are finished.  Still picking loads on a regular basis too.

I should also add that most of the plants are still looking healthy. the exceptions (strangely enough) are the soil grown plants (although they are the oldest).

As it gets colder I probably wont get many more, but its great to be able to extend the season like this (thanks mainly to the greenhouse itself), and I dont expect to have many green fruits left over. ;D ;D ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 00:05:46 »
I do live in the frozen North, Richard.   ;D  Any good varieties you can recommend we try for next year?  Something a little sweeter.   :) busy_lizzie

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 00:15:09 »
I do live in the frozen North, Richard.   ;D  Any good varieties you can recommend we try for next year?  Something a little sweeter.   :) busy_lizzie

Sorry!

Gardeners delight is a nice sweet cherry type that i grow (better than moneymaker by far). For larger toms 'Shirley' is a good 'do-er' too. i also tried a tumbler type called gartenperle (garden pearl) which produces small plum shaped fruits that are very eatable! Found myself eating them like sweets when cropping was at its peak.

What are you other varieties BL?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 00:16:41 by Garden Cadet »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 11:26:13 »
Think they are all the same variety Richard.  Thanks for your suggestions.  :) busy_lizzie

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 21:37:59 »
Dear BL,

I have grown Big Boy tomatoes this year and was impresed with the size and taste.

Last year I grew Gardeners Delight - nice & sweet, however, I do prefer the Big Boy variety.

Debs.

P.S. I'm still getting mine to ripen - in a greenhouse, south/west facing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal