Author Topic: Swifts and Swallows  (Read 3527 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Swifts and Swallows
« on: September 04, 2005, 16:17:29 »
Anyone seen any of these around lately.  I haven't seen our Swifts for a least two weeks.  They usually make their journey back to Africa late September and as we still have roasting hot days here, don't know why they would start this early.  Do they know something we don't?  ??? busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Re: Swifts and Swallows
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 17:03:13 »
We don't seem to get many here, in fact I can't say when I last saw one, a few years ago.Although it does seem a bit early for them to be leaving, has anyone else noticed them going?..We haven't had the brent geese arrive here yet so when I see them, then its truly autumn and winter close behind.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 17:07:23 »
Swifts appear to have disappeared from around Lincoln as well.  We do still have Swallows down by the river - at least we did last time I looked and the Martins are still about.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 19:30:58 »
The Swifts leave these mortal shores much earlier than the Swallows and House Martins.  I am sure I will be corrected unless I look up a Book, but they go away late July early August.  The Swallows and House Martins are still swooping about here as well.  Two years ago the swallows nesting at my house were still feeding their young at this time of the year.  I was getting quite anxious about the little things but then they all left late September.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 19:34:21 »
Pretty sure you are correct.  Martins are the last to leave and they were late leaving round here last year as well - went through much the same emotions.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 20:58:07 »
We've had swifts in my mother's house as long as...at least 30 years. They leave mid-August.
Swallows and housemartins are still here, but they've started congregating on the lines now in a morning...expect the swallows to leave maybe next week and the housemartins the week after..the other year though I was driving near Bristol mid-november and saw a swallow...couldn't believe my eyes!

As far as I'm concerned, these three birds are the true test of the seasons, and when I see a swift, it has to be summer! Love 'em.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 21:35:30 »
They've been around here as usual over the summer, My bird book doesn't give dates for its migration, but it's pretty early.

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 22:35:31 »
This is a good site, but doesn't say when they leave...

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 08:57:11 »
My book says 'Summer visitor (mostly May to August)' so I guess they've gone. RSPB site says April to August.

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 20:48:17 »
found out a bit more about the swift. This site says
London's birds are on their way in early August, with the last leaving by the middle of the month.

http://website.lineone.net/~edwardmayer/Where%20Swifts%20Fly.htm

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 00:01:35 »
Thanks very much to you all for your input.  It probably was time for them to go, but I haven't seen them circling which is the usual indicator they are on their way.  I will miss them in the evenings, ducking and diving across the sky making their funny chirpy noises.  I usually get the chance to lie on our garden lounger in the evening and watch them, accompanied by Classic FM, but this year haven't seem to have had the opportunity.  Thanks very much dotCompost for your hyperlinks, really interesting.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 11:12:18 »
Thanks very much dotCompost for your hyperlinks, really interesting.  :) busy_lizzie
You're Welcome  :)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 11:50:20 »
I was watching swifts and house martins last night swooping over our pond, catching insects from the look of things.

Regards

MikeB

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 11:54:05 »
Haven't seen any swifts around here (south London) for a few weeks now. During the summer I loved eating brekkie outside and watching them darting about overhead. Guess autumn really is on the way...

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 22:43:19 »
I'm afraid I don't know the difference between swifts, swallows or housemartins when they are in flight, but whilst at the allotment today I looked up as I wiped the sweat from my brow and there were at least a dozen swallows/swifts/martins way up zipping around in the Essex sun.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 09:59:56 »
Swifts have extra long sickle-shaped wings, and martins have white bums. House martins have black backs while sand martins are browner.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 20:09:45 »
Swfts gone long ago, but the Swallows are still here but I am sure they wont be long in leaving.  They have probably had a late brood again.  Autumn is here.
I am jsut waiting on a sight of the Pink Foot and Grey Lagged geese going over.  I have heard they have arrived but not had a sighting yet.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 23:11:37 »
Our swifts seemd to just dissapear. No swallows left here either for at least 3 weeks. :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal