Produce > Edible Plants

Basil

(1/2) > >>

budgiebreeder:
What is happening to my Basil?It is getting to about 1" tall and then rotting off :-/.I have tried watering it from the bottom.Never had this problem before!!! :-[

Mrs Ava:
Could it be 'damping off disease'?  I believe it is a fungal type problem.  I think it is caused when seedlings are too close together and there is poor air circulation.  I have also heard that using unclean water to water them, so waterbutt water I guess, can be a cause.  Umm...now I seem to think that you water with chestnut solution or compound of something...someone will correct me I am sure.  Hmmm, hope I have helped. :-/

Hugh_Jones:
Presumably the stems of the Basil suddenly go very thin at the base, and the whole stem then keels over. If so it is indeed `damping off`a fungus which attacks in any one or more of the conditions mentioned by Emma Jane, plus overwatering, lack of light and over shading.

However, one of the most common causes is the use of unsterile compost and utensils - it  rarely happens if sterile compost and properly sterilised containers are used.

The best remedy is to water with Cheshunt Compound, but this will not `cure` any affected seedlings.  I`m not sure whether it is still possible to obtain Cheshunt Compound, but I have the original formula if anyone wants to make their own.

Beer_Belly:
Chesunt compound formula ? Maybe put it on the recipe board ?  ;)

Mrs Ava:
aaaahhhhh Cheshunt, not chestnut  :), well I was nearly there.   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version