Author Topic: Compost Bins??  (Read 9956 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Compost Bins??
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 08:56:56 »
We get spent hops delivered regularly by a plotholder who works for the local brewery :P which come in woven plastic sacks. I cover the compost heap with a couple of these, flat, then with two duvet-style sacks stuffed full of the sacks I haven't found a use for, then a log (to stop them blowing off) :)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 13:32:30 »
Are they heavy?

I know it sounds like a daft question but I don't have a car. So two choices, I buy direct from the council at £12 but they don't deliver, so I have to get a dalek on a bus, or I phone Blackwells for £17 and they deliver to my flat so I still have to get bin up to site.

I could wear it I suppose. Pollinate, pollinate...
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 13:43:28 »
No they're not heavy, Bupster, but they are pretty bulky.  Wearing it as a dress with the lid as a hat's probably the most attractive option  ;) but you'd have to stand on the bus!

Got a mate with a car who could help?

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 14:21:10 »
Possibly. I don't actually know all that many people with cars as I live in Cambridge. On the upside nobody would blink an eye if I was forced to wear it.

Perhaps I could attach wheels and tie it behind the bike?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

undercarriage plan

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 17:30:44 »
I've got 3 "heaps" on the go at the min, made from the posts and chicken wire left over from rabbit-proofing. One on the go, one with squash in it, and one sat "cooking"! I just cover them with black membrane, seems to work fine. Lottie  :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2005, 15:42:21 »
Well there's a thing.I hadn't considered using the placca bags as a duvet kind've thing. Another way to use up some of the rubbish on my plot...thanks peeps!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2005, 15:16:06 »
My bin is made from wire fencing threaded onto corner posts and posts in the middle of each panel.  The wire is lined with old compost bags and bags also make the lid!  Seems to work fine and cost me nothing as everything was from bits left on the lottie!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2005, 21:04:12 »
I went down to the leisure center in Halifax this morning where the Council were selling Daleks, large ones with hole in front £5, and small ones without £3. We were too late to get large ones as they had sold out but bought 2 small ones (still a good size) They would deliver free for anybody without transport.

Rosemary

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 09:40:25 »
We have an ugly black dalek in the front garden. Full sun, sat on soil. Seems more useful for chucking compostables in and letting them break down back into the soil than for actually harvesting compost from the thing, but either way, it gets rid of me tea bags.

Now if someone would invent a *pretty* compost bin... and also a pretty rotating washing line.. then I'd be sorted. Maybe I'll just attack it with some fairy stencils and paint. :D

Melanie

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2005, 20:55:35 »
There is a company that sells sticky backed plastic wraparound pictures for wheelie bins :P (no really, I am serious ;D, my friend in Kent has one ::)). You can get all sorts of pix, including climbing plants. Maybe this sticky backed plastic idea would adapt to a Dalek ... ;D?

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2005, 21:28:59 »
There is a company that sells sticky backed plastic wraparound pictures for wheelie bins :P (no really, I am serious ;D, my friend in Kent has one ::)). You can get all sorts of pix, including climbing plants. Maybe this sticky backed plastic idea would adapt to a Dalek ... ;D?

Hm, you have a point there! Probably would work well.. Or maybe I could just get some sticky-backed plastic and start doing some decoupage on the thing.. Hmmm...

Melanie

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2005, 21:37:41 »
Wardy - One is already full as I had been storing waste from the plot until I got round to making a bin. I had a fire yesterday and added the ash from that so I will wait until it is lower before adding more.
I also got around to starting to make a wood compost bin today. I had to dig out an old one that has been going for years. Lots of lovely crumbly soil in it. I amazes me how so many people start a compost bin but never seem to use the end product.
Rosemary

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2005, 21:59:32 »
We had loads of problems with Blackwalls in Leeds.

Big daleks were £5 a time, so we recommended them to loads of friends. Of course, everybody else got theirs delivered in 2-3 days; we got ours in 3 weeks!

Still, they did at least make a c*ck-up with the delivery and left us one too many!

Of course, we told them about their error  ::)
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2005, 09:58:04 »
They delivered my latest bins the following day after ordering so they might just be improving :)

Humph - I ordered mine from Blackwells on 26th Sept........ still waiting.....  ::)
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2005, 15:48:13 »
Thanks Wardy - lets hope so, eh?
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2005, 23:32:00 »
Kentishchloe, I've a spare you can have for free if they don't deliver.  You could combine pick up with another trip to Lakeland ;D  PM me if interested.

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 22:34:17 »
Humph - I ordered mine from Blackwells on 26th Sept........ still waiting.....  ::)

Did you get your bin in the end? I'm just curious as I have been waiting for over 2 months and still haven't had mine. Not getting any reply from emails I send to customer services either.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2006, 09:21:38 »
If you are supplied water by Severn Trent you may be able to buy them for as little as £6  :o 8)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 18:35:36 »
I have a bank of four wooden bins from "RecycleWorks" with Duvets as well they are really good and trying to make space for a fifth! Sadly they are quite expensive!
 :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal