Author Topic: Compost Bins??  (Read 9957 times)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Compost Bins??
« on: September 25, 2005, 17:09:49 »
Hi All
I'm hoping to get a compost bin and would appreciate any pointers on what I should or shouldn't buy?? there seems to be lots on the market with a wide range of prices!!! I've only a garden, not a lotty!! so i need a bin as opposed to an open bay "so to speak" Thanks
Kevb
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Re: Compost Bins??
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 17:43:06 »
I got mine through the local Council. Special offer as they are trying to encourage householders to compost and cut down on household waste. Each household allowed 2 at £8 each.
They're plastic, sliding opening at bottom, lid on top. Found them useful. Might be worth giving your council a ring to see if they do a similar scheme.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 18:12:20 »
My daleks came from Blackwall via our local council.  I've got two that take our non-meat kitchen waste as well as garden waste. 

http://www.blackwall-ltd.com/homecomposting1.htm

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 18:29:42 »
I see Blackwall claim that their Tumbler can make compost in up to 21 days ::) I've had mine for 9 months and still waiting for it to break down. ???

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 18:41:28 »
I don't have the tumbler but get nice rich crumbly compost out of the dalek after 12 months or so.  It would probably be quicker if they were in a sunnier spot and if I turned the contents over periodically.  Agree 21 days sounds rather optimistic, Roy.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 19:07:40 »
;D Praps I'm peeing in it too much then? ;D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 19:17:57 »
daleks all the way - exterminate! exterminate!

they get nice and hot in the sun and sometimes i fill the bin up to the top with green stuff (cuttings, weeds and kitchen waste) and two days later it has all collapsed and it's half empty again. i havent turned anything over but i do stir the stuff now and them with a fork, to aerate (sp?) it. i have two bins and my first one was started in february and is now half full with lovely rich crumbly dark stuff - still quite fibrious but will be fine dug into my clay soil. the other bin as i said is currently on the go. will use the finished stuff in the next few weeks and then rotate to the first bin again. :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 12:09:01 »
I made mine out of old decking squares. Sort of like pallets. Just hammered a few together to start. Then made one by "sewing" it together with baling twine. Works really well. I just remove the front to dig it out or turn it.
gone to pot :D

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 12:24:23 »
Got 4 black plastic daleks free from the council  ;D
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 12:50:18 »
That's why I made mine - they are £17 from the council. I'm far too cheap...

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 13:34:47 »
Cheeky whatsits at the council - they say their special offer with Blackwells is £17. mutter mutter.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 14:41:37 »
Cheeky whatsits at the council - they say their special offer with Blackwells is £17. mutter mutter.

I think I paid £15 from our council, robbing beggers >:( ;D and I've had this bin since the begging of the year and no sign of decomposing, "Chopin's" doing a better job than me >:( ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 15:24:07 »
Shame that you don't live a bit nearer North Wales Kev.  I have 4 dalek types doing nothing now as other half has made me some lovely compost bays out of old pallets, and I have emptied all the bins and added some lovely horse manure too.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 17:24:30 »
If you have a garden and want a pretty wooden bin, the cheapest I found was from Primrose of London
http://www.primroselondon.co.uk/index.php?p=te0047&r=GOOG
about £27 plus a few squid P&P whether you order 1 or 100! I know I should try to rise above it but I am afeard of daleks :-[ especially when gardening at twilight 8) :o ;D
Plus they are easy to put together and draw admiring looks from neighbours ;D ;D ;D

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 17:42:28 »
I've just ordered one from blackwells - they're £10 in kent - i guess different councils subsidise to different amounts. anyway it's a 1000l green dalek so it'll be enough to get me going :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 11:55:42 by kentishchloe »
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 18:24:53 »
Well I've watched and listened to all of the comments and I think my local council must be having a laugh, as they are trying to send me to Bents Garden Centre which everyone around here knows is the dearest place in the WORLD bar none!! and Blackwells haven't  had the courtesy to reply to my email 48 hours ago?? so I'm still bin free!! but I'm working on it!! :) :)
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 18:38:18 »
Kev, don't know if it's the same in your area (I'm in Kent) but when I was hunting around for subsidised deals on a water butt recently I found one of our water companies was advertising subsidised daleks as well as water butts on their website, all from Blackwall.

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 18:47:36 »
We got a large compost bin from our local LIDL's for £ 12.00. But we also built 2 large ones from wooden pallets. :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 23:16:50 »
I've got a dalek at home,free from council, and a couple of pallet ones on the lottie.

What do you use to cover your pallet bins?

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 23:25:01 »
I use a large piece of old carpet to cover ours :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal