Author Topic: rabbit proof fence  (Read 3389 times)

sammyd

• Half Acre
rabbit proof fence
« on: October 07, 2005, 13:57:30 »
my allotment is overrun with rabbits....

any ideas how i can make a fence to keep them off my veg...

my veg plots are about 3' by 3'

needs to be cheap or from scrap materials

sammyd

• Half Acre
Re: rabbit proof fence
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 12:52:53 »
thankyou

our plot is huge so don't know if we can do that at present but an idea for the future...

but found a temporary solution

just been down the lottie now and found some old wooden divan bed base frames... gonna cover them in chicken wire and put them over the remaining crops for now...

our allotment site has plenty of empty run down plots with allsorts on them... just found loads of stuff to use... i love diggin around

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 19:35:26 »
I had to bite the bullet, like Wardy, and dig a trench all the way round, I have large plot too. I'm just about to trench a new bit. It took a while, but for several years now, have had no bunny probs at all...had slugs, snails, aphid, pigeons....but no bunnies... ;D ;D ;D
Oh yes, and be warned, when typing bunnies, remember how close the n is to the m........ :o

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 07:17:45 »
How does a trench keep bummies out? How big a trench? - Really am interested - unless this is a wind wind up in which case I am just playing along.
Always look on the bright side of life

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 09:40:07 »
Sorry, BW!! What Wardy said!! Didn't mean moat.. :-\ I put posts in, then dug about 18" down to bury netting, but also made the trench wide so that you can bend the wire out to prevent the little so and sos getting in. Like Wardy says, it's blinking hard work but well worth it never to have bunny troubles again. In fact, they have been known to sit the other side of the fence, whilst I'm in there.....Hehe!! ;D

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 14:01:23 »
Ah!  I was imagining a moat or somesuch.   Coudn't see why a standard bunmie could simply hop over a trench - but there's a fence in the way so that explains that doesn't it?!

We also have a problem on our site 'cos it boarders a BR mainline railway and the bumnies take cover in the overgrown embackments. I have entirely enclosed my plot with 2.5 foot high chicken-wire fence with a bit of it burried (as you said).  But rats/mice still get in - they either climb over or go through the holes - either way, when I get round to electrifying the fence they may change their tune  :)

Always look on the bright side of life

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 15:13:14 »
LOL!! You OK, Wardy! By the sound of it, BW needs the spotlight, crocodiles etc! Though a moat is an interesting idea.......could get boat then and row round lottie, with night vision goggles and big gun!! Good luck BW!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal