Author Topic: Broad beans  (Read 3462 times)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
Broad beans
« on: September 24, 2005, 03:50:16 »
I haven't a clue about broad beans.  I planted seedlings 3 months ago and have heaps of flowers on the plants.  The plants are quite bushy and a foot high.

Shouldn't there be pods on the plants after the flowers have been there for 3 weeks or does it take longer?  (I have had 2 pickings of snow peas planted at the same time)

Do they need any special treatment like pollination or something?

On one of the posts it says 'when flowers are out, pinch out the tips...'  What tips are they talking about?  Sorry for the silly question?

Thanks for any replies
AnnaOutOfSync
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

powerspade

Re: Broad beans
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 07:22:06 »
Mine were planted in march, flowered in june and all eaten by end of august

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 08:56:25 »
Broad beans are usually sown in autumn or very early spring so they can get a good head start before the blackfly invade.   They go for the soft sappy tips at the top of the plant which is why some people recommend pinching them out.   I think you've left yours a bit late to get a good crop this year.   

There's another post on here about when to sow broad beans and which variety.  They are hardy so I shall be sowing mine in toilet roll tubes in October and then planting out with a bit of protection as my garden can get down to -20C.   I also plant nasturtiums nearby in the spring  as a sacrificial plant which attracts aphids away from my crops.
Obxx - Vendée France

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 16:54:12 »
I have had variable success with broad beans due to the seed being eaten by mice. Therefore this last year I germinated mine in pots, then planted out about early April. As a result I had solid rows with plenty of pods. I dont pinch out the tips, but as soon as I see the blackfly appear, I spray all the tops with a brew I made by steeping some rhubarb leaves in a bucket of water. After a couple of weeks it stinks awful, then I strain and use it. It certainly seems to keep the blackfly away, mostly anyway, and of course its organic. I use a small hand sprayer from the pound shop kept just for this purpose. Once the crop is cleared, the area becomes my winter onion bed ...

This makes it sound all so easy ...  ;D

Derekthefox :D

marshwiggle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 16:58:23 »
My mum always says the best bit of the broad beans are the tips. They are the top of the stalk. She nips off the last few leaves when the flowers are showing, claiming that this will stop blackfly ;) Then she runs to the kitchen and eats them all >:(

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 02:17:22 »
I don't have blackfly.  Plants are lovely and green.  Lots of white flowers, but no pods.

How long for the pods to appear after the flowers?

Anna :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 16:51:10 »
Obelixx - I think Annadll is in Perth, Australia so you have to reverse your seasons when discussing plants so if they were planted three months ago that would be June/July time in Aus and about December/Jan time here (not a good time to sow anything) but not as cold as our December/Jan. 
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 23:30:35 »
Anna, I seem to remember it is a  good few weeks from flower to pods, and then the pods are very slow to get going, when suddenly there are lots!  I assume you have plenty of pollinating insects around?  If the plants are healthy, and you have loads of flowers, I am sure it is only a matter of time.  Lucky you!  The birds wripped my broadbeans, and then the mice and voles joined the dinner table!

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 04:17:35 »
Hi

I saw mum yesterday and her BB were 4 foot high!!! with lots of pods on.  She said she planted them early (over winter) and that's why they are taller.  She thinks because mine are late they might not get tall but to be patient with the pods.

No EJ I can't see many pollinating insects.  I planted more flowering perenials yesterday and a lavender.  I hope this will help.

Thanks Redclanger, I planted quite a bit end of winter.  Everything is green & salads growing really well.  Peas have been a success but I will plant more next year.  Leeks & chives slow.  Celery just starting to take off.

AnnaOutOfSync  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 08:48:29 »
I've been planting mine in the spring and have always got good crops. I may try overwintering some this year.Yours should be OK, just give them time.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 09:30:52 »
I do the same Robert, but I understand the enthusiasm for autumn planting, as the crops are normally a few weeks earlier, and since broad beans are one of the first crops anyway ...

Broad beans (frozen) with my Christmas dinner is one of my delights.

Derekthefox :D

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 17:02:34 »
I spray all the tops with a brew I made by steeping some rhubarb leaves in a bucket of water.

Now I know what to do with the rhubarb that was already on my plot! Can't stand eating the stuff and I was just going to throw it away! Thanks Derekthefox!

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 10:44:14 »
I've got some!!!!!!!!!!

When I went to tie back the bb plants to the stakes/chicken wire today I saw some broad beans on some of the plants: :o :o

I didn't know they grew upwards???  They are 3 inches long but not 1 cm thick yet.  When are they ready to harvest?  I thought they had to get quite thick.

Anna from Downunder ;D ;D ;D

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 11:06:09 »
Woo hoo!  ;D

Maybe they grow upwards becuause you are in australia, on the other side of the world.  ;) Well, your water goes down the plug hole in the opposite direction!  :D

I think the length depends on the variety. Longpods have eight beans and windsors have four, so are shorter. I'd let them get a bit bigger, then get 'em eaten.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 02:17:47 »
I was thinking someone would write that  ;D ;D ;D

I like to observe these things so when I checked them this morning (like my babies) it looks like as they get bigger they start to 'bend' downwards.

It's really good keeping a regular eye on the garden seeing where the shade is at different times of the day and seeing what 'habitat' is going on.  I saw bees for the first time yesterday.  (They're like new friends).  A couple of dead snails... it looks like I'm doing the right thing.

I also discovered 'free seedlings' that had sprouted from my compost.  Pumpkin & onions.  How do onions sprout like that?  I only put the ends and peel in the compost???  But I am happy.  Can't complain about that.

Actually I'm one happy chappy at the moment ;D

Anna from Downunder

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 23:59:22 »
Anna, you can pick them when they are small and tender and eat them whole, leave them on the plant a bit longer, then shell and enjoy the lovely lime green beans inside, or leave them to get huge and dry them for use later in the year!  Don't forget to double shell them, first take them out of the pod, then blanch them for a couple of mins and slide them out of their outer skin.  This skin is tough and bitter, you are left with the sweet green beans!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal