Author Topic: saving plants over Winter  (Read 1658 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
saving plants over Winter
« on: September 27, 2005, 18:57:16 »
In past years I have put all my annuals on the compost heap, but this year I wondered if it is worth saving the fushias and geraniums.  I have an unheated greenhouse.  Would they survive in it.  I can find advice for dahlia tubers but not for the above.  Is it worth it or should I compost them and buy the plugs again next year?  Thanks.

wardy

• Hectare
Re: saving plants over Winter
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 20:14:15 »
I compost my geraniums.  The fuschsias might be worth trying to overwinter.  I used to manage to overwinter in my garage  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 21:08:12 »
I've got geranuims from previous years and they stayed outside just under a cover so in your greenhouse should be ok.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 21:12:17 »
Think it probably depends where you are.

I save both in my bubblewrapped non heated greenhouse, the geraniums are susceptible to mould, but seem to pull through by the spring.

Give it a go, you ave nothing to lose :)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 22:06:27 »
...or take some cuttings and leave them on a windowsill overwinter to root and provide next years plants!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 23:01:19 »
If you keep them in the g/house, remember that both need to be kept virtually dry to prevent rotting. Fu*hsias may well lose all their leaves, too, but will get a fresh show in spring.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 09:01:19 »
As Rosa said , keep them dry, but it's also a good idea to cut off the freshest greenest growth  because that is what is most likely to rot. You can also keep them in some where like a shed, they don't require any light as they are more or less in hibernation.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 11:01:21 »
I repot my fuchsias and pelargoniums into separate pots, cutting down the growth to about 8" now, later I cut a bit more. then I put them onto a bright windowsill for the winter (unlike beejay). I find that if I feed the geraniums, they sometimes flower about Christmas too, which is a bonus. Then about May next year. I'll put them out again. The fuchsias drop all their leaves and look like sticks only. Come spring, I cut these right down, and plenty of fresh growth emerges (about April.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal