Author Topic: 2 lottie newbies  (Read 8054 times)

joji

• Hectare
Re: 2 lottie newbies
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 12:42:30 »
you can't possibly keep a job and work that much land. (Please don't tell me you do!)

Looks like a hard task - but well worth it!

No me & OH work part time as our son is diabetic so someone has to be at home for him in case the school phones up to say he is ill.  :)

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 12:45:25 »
The size of it! I should invest in shares in a black plastic making company, no way will you get that all under cultivation this winter. Is that a shed in the picture as well? I could cheerfully live on that amount of land; I'd turn into a peculiar hermit wearing ancient tweed and shouting incomprehensibly at small children.

Ahem.

Well I didn't tell porkies about how big it is did I  ;D

Yes and a shed came with it. Actually it is an old chicken shed that is a little worse for wear but it will do to keep the tools in for now :)

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2005, 12:48:05 »
I do that already Bupster  ;D  It's funny how getting an allotment makes you wear strange clothes.  It's like an unconscious thing.  One minute normal clothes the next minute you're on the lotty with a bright pink floppy hat with block dots on  ;D  I digress ...

Fantastic patch you got there Joji  You can keep it  ;D ;D  I can just envisage chickens on that.  Bit of shade by the trees.  Perfick  :)

well there is only one other lottie up here next to us and he has chickens. We let him put his chickenson our patch to have a peck about now that we have cleared it a bit. :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2005, 12:50:44 »
Great idea that.  They'll eat slugs up dead fast and leave you some free manure.  They'll see off the chickweed and groundsel for you too  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2005, 14:05:38 »
I popped over to Downham Market today and got 20 white sprouting broccoli for the hungry gap :P (75p for 10). I will mark up a bed this weekend, dig the topsoil off the path areas and throw it on, cover in black plastic - and plant thru the holes. Not done this with brassica before so will wait-and-see ... ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 14:09:58 »
Sounds good Supersprout - lovely broc.  I like the sprouting as it has lovely tender stems which are great steamed or stir fried.  So good for you too.  So good for caterpillars anorl which is where mine have gone  :(

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2005, 16:22:29 »
not forgetting your tip, the nets will go up straight away! ;D

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2005, 20:42:04 »
Well spent another 4 hours down there this  afternoon and cleared another bit of the lottie. Really starting to look like we are getting some where now. :)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2005, 22:46:03 »
Hiya

If I were you I would contact the council that rents you the allotment about the knotweed. And whinge loudly.  They cannot expect you to clear something which is notifiable and such a beast to get shot of.  And in any case, because it's also on the other side of the fence, you won't get rid unless the other side does.

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2005, 20:30:19 »
We have  an appointment with the guy from the council next week so we will be doing some ear bending with reguard to a few things we have to talk to him about.

Spent 3 houirs this morning and another 4 thisafternoon removing brambles ::). Like I said before nothing will beat us we are determind to win over this wilderness. :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2005, 09:28:07 »
I think it's unbelievable that in this day and age, when land is so scare, that lotty take up isn't sky high.  Coupled with GM and irradiated food, food scares etc.  You think everyone would want a patch of their own and that overgrown allotments wouldn't exist

In a perfect world eh ............

Good luck with the council bloke

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2005, 15:34:32 »
Thanks Wardy  :)

Spent another 3 hours down there today. Really beginning to win the battle now. Will put new photos up next week to show the difference. :)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2005, 16:39:54 »
GULP!!!   Thems aint allotments - thems is fields!   I thought that taking on two 'normal' plots was a lot but a field, and one that needs cleared.  You have most definately got to be mad allotmenteers with green fingers right up to the elbows.  I take off my hat to you.   When those are finished Joji and Wardy they will be magnificent.

iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2005, 18:23:25 »
That is a serious amount of land  :)  But it'll all be worth it given that it's right at the bottom of your garden.  I would die to have that set up (though obviously then it wouldn't be much good to me, except perhaps to be scattered in!)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2005, 19:32:06 »
Been a good weekend for getting to grips with allotments.  Forecast for our neck of the woods was poor but we've been out on the plot all day and it's been red hot.  Had a light sprinkle of rain that's all.  Hope you've all managed to get to your plots today.  My lotty neighbour hasn;t worked on her plot today but she turned up as she was passing to put up some new bird boxes.
She gave a huge pumpkin to a young chap with 5 children who's just taken up a really weedy plot. 

Ah one big happy lotty family  :)

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 19:44:53 »
We had heavy showers but we stuck them out and carried on  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal