Author Topic: Container soil  (Read 1785 times)

Maddy

• Half Acre
Container soil
« on: September 25, 2005, 19:36:46 »
I noticed a question similar to this re soil that had been used for tomoatoes, but my question is regarding soil that has been used for everything.

This year I have grown all sorts of vegetables, herbs, flowers in containers and everything is now starting to come to an end.  What do I do with the soil.  Is it safe to dig up the flowers and veg and mix all of the soil to use for next years containers?

Any advice gratefully received.

M.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Container soil
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 19:52:26 »
No, you must always use fresh compost each year in you pots because most/all of the nutrients will have been used up.  You can put the spent compost on borders to improve your soil or add it in dribs and drabs to your compost heap.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 20:03:16 »
Thanks Georgie,

And so onto my next question, how do I dispose of roughly 300 litres of compost.  The method used in The Great Escape might take too long, plus I'm partial to skirts  ;)

M.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 20:10:13 »
LOL.  Well, if you can't dispose of it as I described above - mebbe your council will take it away as 'green' waste?

g xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 20:12:46 »
Thanks for the help Georgie, I'll give them a call when everything is "done" for the year.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 23:15:28 »
Dump the compost wherever you need a bit of extra soil. 300 litres will soon disappear.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 10:26:18 »
Keep it and use it - either on the beds or compost it - as it's precious stuff.  Nothing must get chucked!  It's the law you know  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 10:55:42 »
I agree with wardy - 300 litres will soon vanish when spread out & if you haven't got any beds or borders to put it on maybe you've got a neighbour who'd appreciate it?
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 12:04:07 »
No beds here.  I live in a block of maisonettes are we have a balcony each.  Have decided to keep the 150 ish litres of John Innes, as per advice on another thread so I'm already down to 150 ltrs  :) 

M.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal