Author Topic: Narcissussussus!  (Read 1754 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Narcissussussus!
« on: September 21, 2005, 00:48:24 »
The offspring went to Amsterdam recently and kindly agreed on pain of eviction to bring me back some bulbs. 'Anything smelly' was my only request.

He returned with some Narcissus Actaea 'Pheasant's Eye', described as exceptionally fragrant with an uncommonly sweet aroma.

Now, should I be doing the happy dance yet? Has anyone else grown this and if so, does it live up to the description - or should I start making plans for a new spare room in the house?

BTW, he also brought back something described only as 'Green Goddess'. I've googled and found it could be either a Zantedeschia or a Dracaena... or a type of Cannabis... anyway, the bulb/corm/growy bit looks like a small flat dried cowpat - any ideas anyone?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Narcissussussus!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 01:53:09 »
I have grown Narcissus Pheasant's Eye and it is nice.
No idea about the cowpat though...

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 09:15:13 »
cowpat sounds like a zantedeshia to me. lovely plants but i've never had any luck raising them from corms.
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 09:48:12 »
I've grown "Pheasants Eye", think they're lovely, and would happily choose them again. I think they are an old variety, my little ol' man loves his bulbs (guess what I'm doing this morning  ::)) and grows alot of these. Other one, no idea!! Have fun! Lottie  ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 10:24:21 »
Narcissus poeticus is a fabulous later flowering daffodil. They are rather expensive bulbs too!
Gardening is the great leveller.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 11:37:16 »
My garden is full of narcissi and they smell lovely as cut flowers in the house.  Planted some dwarf ones yesterday in a winter/spring tub I was doing  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 01:55:39 »
Many thanks all for your input - so it IS the same as poeticus, Eric - I had wondered about that as I'd seen it under both names-
 - and expensive?!! :o

The happy dance has turned into a shocked salsa!

Though in a way I'm rather disappointed that the proposed indoor shed /seedling nursery will remain a bedroom for the forseeable....

...oh well, guess I'll just plant my little cowpat and be content...
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal