Author Topic: cider  (Read 6179 times)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: cider
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 16:17:02 »
I have had failures like that, I have two demijohns worth at the moment, trying to decide what is the best thing to do with the foul liquid.  :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 11:47:23 »
Just before you finally throw it out you might try a glass with a tespoonfull of suger in and see if that helps any. Real cider is generally as dry as can be.

Otherwise there's loads of good stuff in there -it would probably be OK on the compost heap, or the raw horse pooh heap. If you're heading down the A12 E-J, I've a pile of fresh manure jusr crying out for a drink ......................................

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 12:02:11 »
Well, according to the website browsing I have done, if you leave it bottled for 3 or 4 months, it should improve and be perfectly drinkable.  According to the web, it will be quite vinegary when first decanted into the bottles or demijons, but that is normal and expected!  So, once again, we shall forget about it and see what happens.  It is such a lovely colour, hope it does improve!

And Derbex, I must get some manure of my own for the squishes that will be planted in spring...I figure you get yours from the long list of stables in Ingastone.  Ours is Great Baddow vintage and comes with nettles!  ;D

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 15:05:25 »
d**n, I forgot that -yes, you may well get a secondary (malo-lactic coo-err) fermentation that will get take some of the acid out and make it a bit more palatable, worth trying. It's not a strong fermentation so you should be OK to bottle now.

Not sure where the manure comes from -a nice man turns up at the allotments every so often and off loads some bags from his Land Rover, generally shavings based. Pays to get there early on a Saturday just in case -I got 15 bags yesterday, now I'm saving up the amber necter to help it on it's way :)

That the stables by the Garden Centre & Farm shop?

Jeremy.

P.S. The cider should be good for cooking with -did rabbit with apricots in cider the other week.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 09:26:58 »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Lurve rabbit and cider - a match made in heaven, which reminds me, I have 2 long ears in the freezer.

These stables and geegees are before BringyPine just as you are sweeping into Great Baddow from Sandon.  Nice as it is pure manure as it is the gatherings from the fields.  I blame the vintage on the fact that we are still trying to work our way through last years pumpkins!  ;D

Anyhow, 36 hours on and the cider has cleared quite considerably, amazing how much gunk came through the jelly bag!  Smells gross, but we shall wait and see, nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that!

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 13:25:50 »
Try it in a demijohn next time (3 days in bucket then transfer).

That's probably what went wrong - too much air. The airlock on a demijohn would prevent that happening

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal