Author Topic: Late Strawberries  (Read 1798 times)

Wicker

• Hectare
Late Strawberries
« on: September 27, 2005, 15:52:49 »
Earlier this year I bought 6 strawberry plants to "freshen up" my stock - didn't say they were late variety and I thought they were just slow and settling in.  However they have come in to their own these past few weeks and every day I am able to pick over a a dozen or so fruits delicious and sweet - what a treat at this time of year!  The variety is Loren but I can't find any detail about them anywhere, and I bought them out of B&Q right at the end of the normal strawberry selling season.

Has anyone else got this variety or know of it?

While trying to find out more online I did come across a cocktail called  The Sofia Loren - which is Vodka strawberries and mint - sounds delish ::)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 15:54:25 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

amphibian

Re: Late Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 08:28:08 »
I have heard of a variety that fruits twice a year, producing a crop now.

I have also heard of a variety that will fruit, with protection, in mid-winter

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 08:42:35 »
I have a few fruit (they never produce more than a few) on my inherited plants right now. Trouble is, they're so incredibly low-yielding I'm going to have to get rid of them.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 11:16:41 »
Late strawberries are known as everbearers, Varieties include Bolero, Everest, Calypso, Flamenco. I have only ever grown Bolero, which doesn't have large strarberries but does have lots of them.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 12:22:52 »
Yes i have managed to have a good crop thoughout the season and am still picking them by having a number of different varieties .i grew quite a good few from seed last summer and it has really been worth the effort if only the grandchildren would leave the labels alone lols.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 17:47:37 »
We had a fabulous crop off our inherited strawberries through June and July.

As of today, we must have another couple of kilos on their way - but how long it will take them to go red we're not sure. Also noticed that the leaves have got lots of holes in the but the fruit seem ok.
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal