Author Topic: Achieving Ambitions  (Read 5038 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Achieving Ambitions
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 23:03:21 »
I am never comfortable with needles, but my daughter is diabetic, so she had 4 stabs every single day ... so Dad cant afford to be a wimp ...

Derekthefox :D

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2005, 01:58:29 »
The best way to get over a needle phobia is to have something wrong with you.  I fainted when I had blood taken at the age of 15 but after 12 months of having blood taken regularly it's so very no big deal...and nurses are so good at taking blood anyway I barely feel it.  Still, tell that to my veins, they're still shy even if I'm not, they run and hide every time  :)

M.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 13:17:25 »
I think my needle fear was quashed when I had a vasectomy. The sight of the surgeon with a large syringe full of local anaesthetic (lygnocaine) was my worse nightmare !

And in case you are wondering where ... yes he did!

Please step over anyone who has just fainted ...

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2005, 14:16:45 »
Congratulations on your 50 Derek.

I'm only at a mere 27 so have a way to go, though I do keep my silver certificate on the wall at work, just to show myself that whatever else I do in life at least I've helped save that many lives.

I too have hide and seek veins; I've had them try BOTH arms once before,  had the worst flow rate for 13 mins and record breaking the last 2 (and a full donation as a result) and the last attempt they remembered me from the weird flow and I finished in four mins.

I think the trick seems to be have loads and loads to drink - water has to go into the blood to reach the kidneys, so if you're sloshing, the veins are nice and fat, it's easier for them to be found and it's a quicker donation.

Perhaps they ought to give us the tea on the way in   ;D ;D

(And I like the custard creams!)

moonbells

ps have you looked at the cartoon tablecloth? Hilarious!!! And there's a 50 Donor with a big banner!

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2005, 15:58:35 »
Yes the tablecloth is so funny ! But they dont sell them ! That is a shame because I would definitely buy one ...

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 07:51:56 »
At the time I was giving blood I always seemed to be in a rush.
I used to arrive at the centre all hot and out of breath.

WOW, the blood just couldn't wait to get out... I could overtake many of those with a slower blood flow and get the choccie biscuits.  ;)

I have given blood, I have had blood tests and other injections galore..no problem ...I just have an aversion to watching that needle go in......oooooooer

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 08:26:54 »
I can't think many of us enjoy being a human pin cushion ...  ;D

Derekthefox ;D

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 17:59:39 »
I hae to have regular blood tests and my veins are nonexistant.  They usually take it from the back of my hand (leaving a huge bruise - major sympathy vote).  When I walk into the clinic the phlebotomists draw straws as to who will do me.
Get with the beat Baggy

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2005, 19:18:56 »
Yes Baggy, you have my sympathy, I have had more than my share of medical attention in various forms and I am very grateful to be so healthy (and fit) now.  :)

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2005, 21:45:23 »
Well done Derek 50 armfulls is some going.

I give fairly regularly, nothing like 50 yet though, thing is you never now when you might need it back :D
The only problem I have is that once I've started it just likes to keep going, I usually end up with a big bandage on my right elbow covering the the tiniest little hole.

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2005, 18:56:04 »
I remember while in the Navy, and injections were being given it was only the eight in boxing team for our ship that actually passed out.

Vony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal