Author Topic: Sungold Tomato seeds  (Read 1322 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Sungold Tomato seeds
« on: September 19, 2005, 15:20:54 »
Hello,

This year I grew Sungold Tomatoes from seedling plants purchased at Homebase. Can I save seeds from these plants or are they F1? The other thing is that one of the 3 plants I grew was much more vigorous in growth as well as much higher harvest, but the tomatoes I picked have been mixed up with toms from the other 2 plants as well. I've still got some which are ripening on the plant, but it's been attacked by blight, I've taken all the leaves off and should have a few ripe tomatoes between today and tomorrow. Is there a risk in saving seeds from a plant that has already been attacked by blight? or should I just stick with seeds from my earlier harvest (although I don't know what plant they came from)?

many thanks,
vaca

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Sungold Tomato seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 23:20:55 »
Sungold is a F1 variety, it's not worth keeping the seed

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Sungold Tomato seeds
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 21:04:43 »
I don't think that tomato seed carries the blight infection, so you'd be alright to keep seed.
But the F1 thing is a problem, as Merry Tiller says, it may not be worth keeping the seed as they may not come true. You could end up with something not as good as Sungold. On the other hand, you've nothing to lose by trying.
If I were you I'd buy some tomato seeds as a fall-back - tomatoes are so easy to grow from seed and much cheaper than buying plants.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal