Author Topic: Container grown spuds  (Read 3943 times)

Alimo

• Acre
Re: Container grown spuds
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 11:47:40 »
I grew Duke of York in containers. 

Harvesting was like digging for diamonds !  We had a good yield but I'm sure it could have been better if I'd watered more.

I'm now trying to grow for Christmas lunch.... fingers crossed.  Emptying the containers will be the best pressie opening ever !

Alimo

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 14:46:19 »
how many plants can you plant in a container, this would be rain barrel size.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2005, 15:24:05 »
I have quite a large size pot and i have put 4 spuds  in each pot!!!. NOW how often do i water them this is the first time i have grown spuds, do i leave the pots uncovered or not, what if it rains for 2/3 days at a time, can anyone give me some pointers please. ;D ;D.   Cheers Rosebud.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2005, 15:40:41 »
I put one first or second early in an upturned growbag or 10-12in pot. I watered them with 2pts water each day on hot days or every other day if not so hot. If it rained they were usually fine. I poke my finger down into the compost up to the knuckle to see how damp/dry they were and then water accordingly.
gone to pot :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2005, 15:56:54 »
Leave them uncovered Rosebud.  You can top them up with compost etc as they grow
I came, I saw, I composted

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 18:38:21 »
Vez, in my dustbins I used to put 4 potatoes per bin.  about 6 inches of compost at the bottom potato on top and another 6 inches.  WHen the plant is 6 inches high add more compost until about 1 inch of plant left showing and then keep going along the same lines until the bin is full.
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 08:41:24 »
Some guides suggest adding fertiliser. But the Schools brief is that 'a potting mix will make the skins go rough'.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal