Author Topic: Sarah Raven's Kitchen Garden plan  (Read 2617 times)

Squashmad

• Half Acre
Sarah Raven's Kitchen Garden plan
« on: September 16, 2005, 09:14:50 »
Here are the full details for those interested -

"Before you buy ... seed, spend a few weeks recording a list of all the vegetables, herbs, salad you eat in an average week. ... When you've got enough on your list to create a representative sample of everyday life ... divide what you buy or already harvest into four categories -

Category 1 - Veg you buy every week and eat almost everyday - 40% of plot.
Category 2 - Veg you buy every week, and eat 2 or 3 times - 30% of plot.
Category 3 - Buy every week and eat once - 20% of plot.
Category 4 - Dont buy all the time but buy for particular meals - 10%

I am planning to try this properly next year, as in the past I have been tempted to give too much space to things that look interesting in the catalogue rather than what we will eat a lot of!

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
Re: Sarah Raven's Kitchen Garden plan
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 09:27:10 »
I'll have a go at keeping a food diary and see!
Helen

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 09:43:31 »
Hi Squashmad,

Just out of interest, where did you get this plan from?

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 10:53:46 »
Thanks! For a minute I thought you'd got an advance copy of her veggie book - was going to get jealous

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 11:30:17 »
One of the best bits of advice I heard was simply don't grow stuff you won't eat! I am sure a lot of lottie holders do, simply because everyone grows X or Y.

Our best allotment competition gives points for more types of veg, for instance.  So I'm never going to win (even if I wanted to) because I don't grow the classic allotment veg of broad beans and sprouts (cos I loathe both of them).  I'd rather grow more sweetcorn and garlic, which never go to waste in our house...

Dr Raven's comments are sensible - good for her. I did it the other way round - grew a range of things I liked then worked out over a couple of years which I liked but hated to prepare and cook, and which I wished I'd grown more of. Then adjusted numbers accordingly! (Not many in first category though, which is why I've now got a bigger plot!)

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 11:31:32 »
I got the info from a booklet called "Grow you own salad and herbs" which came with a salad growing hamper I got from SRCG one Xmas.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 08:58:45 »
What about the veggies you can't buy in the shops? For me that's parsnips, yellow courgettes, spring greens, Swiss chard............and the ones that always cost a fortune to buy fresh - rocket, soft fruits...........and the ones such as sweetcorn that are best cooked within minutes of being picked?
Obxx - Vendée France

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 23:29:34 »
and i always grow more of things i can freeze....though there's a guy down from me has about 50 to 60 giant cabbages, everyone comments how wonderful they are, but i'm still puzzled as WHY????
It'll be better next year

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 09:46:19 »
Yep I would say Moonbells is right - don't grow what you won't eat. When I first started one of my neighbours gave me some cabbage plants. I took them because it seemed polite but I really don't like cabbage.
My heart wasn't in it and I didn't look after them, I eventually pulled them up because they looked so ragged!

Another tip is to try not to get too excited about the stuff you do like (I know it's difficult). But try to imagine how many of each type of veg you will realistically eat and sow at intervals. Another mistake I made last year was to sow all of my lettuce seed in one go to be sure of having lots of lettuce (which I love). Of course I did have lots of lettuce, and so did my neighbours and my work collegues and the man who works on the toll bridge...you get the picture.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 16:08:03 »
Yep - successional sowing for the things you really use - I have got to get the hang of that next year.
Plus - must learn to listen to OH more as he does all the cooking and has spent most of this summer saying ''But where are the onions, garlic, herbs? - and, no, I can't use a courgette instead!  >:( "    ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 22:16:45 »
What about the veggies you can't buy in the shops? For me that's parsnips, yellow courgettes, spring greens, Swiss chard............and the ones that always cost a fortune to buy fresh - rocket, soft fruits...........and the ones such as sweetcorn that are best cooked within minutes of being picked?

Went to a barbie last night and they'd done a lot of sweetcorn that they'd got from Sainsbury's.

Husband remarked on way home that they weren't nearly as sweet or nice as those I grew.

Hah! Got him!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 22:45:47 »
...and of those things you like to eat, I think it finally comes down to what will grow well on your plot.  I love broadbeans but haven't had a successful year yet!  I am now not going to bother, all that time and energy and love, for nuffink!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal