Author Topic: Please beware!  (Read 3909 times)

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
Re: Please beware!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2005, 16:08:59 »
There was warning about parsnip leaves in The Kitchen Gargen magazine last year.  It appears that its not the sap itself that causes the blisters, but a combination of the sap and sun.  The sap makes the skin very photo-sensitive and the result is like very bad sun-burn.
Get well soon,
thomas

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2005, 18:37:43 »
EJ, I have problems with certain creams as well and I do use Savlon for most skin things but in the last couple of years E45 brought out an itch cream that works really well on my mozzy bites and doesn't leave you looking like Mr Blobby the way Calamine lotion does.

M.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2005, 19:51:14 »
Have you tried natural yoghurt to take the heat out ?  Or strawberry if you are feeling hungry?  Hope they heal  soon with no scars.
Get with the beat Baggy

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 09:08:46 »
Blimey EJ, hope it gets better soon. Have you tried piriton for the itching?
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 14:50:58 »
Poor you Ej i hope your arms get better soon looks really painfull

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 15:11:12 »
Only just spotted this Emma.  OOOOOOOOOO so painful.  I hope that your poor arms are well on the way to healing now.  Its a mine field out there.  I can still remember the days of agony, itching,inflammation and sleepless nights after my spider bite allergy/reaction, earlier this year.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005, 15:19:12 »
Blimey EJ! That's some reaction... never knew parsnips were a problem. I shall be very careful when harvesting mine, as I'm light sensitive anyway (folk laugh at me for using Factor 60 block... but without, I get the same blisters as you have got!)

Best wishes.  Antihistamine cream for bites works well at reducing itches and swellings. Boots does one which I have been carrying about all summer thanks to the stupid number of bites I've had!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2005, 16:22:16 »
eek - that looks bloody horrible. Sometimes itchy can be way worse than pain - my sympathy. Do you have an aloe vera plant? (Or are you allergic to that too?) I find that works wonders on everything.

Hope it's well on it's way to healing now.
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal