Author Topic: Please beware!  (Read 3905 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Please beware!
« on: September 17, 2005, 17:29:12 »
You hear from time to time how sap from certain plants can cause an allergic reaction, well here is mine.

I received these burns after weeding beetween my parsnips.  Imagine what would have happened if I had got sap into my eyes!  This happened last year but I couldn't pinpoint what caused it, this year I can absolutely!  My arms are swollen, sore and itch like b*gger!  Attractive I know.   This happened on Monday, but only started blistering on Tuesday when I went out in the sun, and everytime I go out with my arms exposed, more and more blisters start to crop! Please, be careful out there...tis a jungle!

Maddy

• Half Acre
Re: Please beware!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 17:46:37 »
Ouch, that looks unbelievably painful, thanks for the warning and hope the healing process is a speedy one for you.

M.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 17:52:06 »
:o Jeez :o Get well soon Emma, those look very painful, I still have the scars of the Miggies or Cleggs we had back in June :(

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 18:09:47 »
Oh Emma that does look irritating, hope it gets better for you soon.  I had similar from a conifer a couple of weeks ago so I know how you feel.  Will keep well away from my parsnips!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 18:14:25 »
Poor you EJ :o :o, thanks for the warning! Methinks a protective hedge of parsnips might make little visitors think twice if they get a similar reaction ... what variety of parsnip is it? ::)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 18:17:32 »
ouch, you poor thing. Does it get you out of doing the housework though ;D
You'll have to get a pair of those long, pink gloves that Aggie & Kim wear ;D

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 19:22:43 »
Ouch.  Thanks for posting a timely warning EJ - needless to say, I was out on the plot today in a short sleeved T-shirt!  What are you using on those welts, btw?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 20:14:35 »
EJ. I do hope your arms heal quickly. Really looks painful. Best wishes Lorna.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 20:30:58 »
Know what you mean Emma - when I fell into Jude the Obscure rose last year, I had to be driven to casualty!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 20:36:31 »
Hmmm yes, that looks agonising. I hope you heal quickly.

Derekthefox

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 22:37:07 »
Ow, EJ! Hope it clears up soon and is not too itchy.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 22:44:30 »
~poor EJ -hope they heal soon
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 22:52:34 »
Emma ,use some Fullers Earth that should relieve it somewhat. :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 23:51:25 »
Poor you Emma! That looks so uncomfortable and painful.  Do you think it is from the actual parsnip leaves or is it a weed growing inbetween the parsnips?  Just I have got a fine bed of pasnips at the moment, so I would be taking extra care with it, if that is what it does.  I hope you can get something soothing to put on it.  Are you taking an antihistamine tablet  as they might help?  Hope you are feeling better soon. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 08:48:53 »
YEOUCH EJ, that looks sore sore sore!  Get yourself some long sleved shirts and gloves, and anti itch cream.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 09:04:20 »
Pour e.j,that looks awful,i had some years ago some nasty  blisters on my arm .That was the result of weeding some area were hog weed was growing,than i never had heard og hogweed now i know what hogweed can do.My sister has the same reaction wenn she is picking cucumbers in the greenhouse.She had a holiday job once a long time ago,she had to pick cucumber in a greenhouse,wenn she came home from picking the whole day the next morning she wake up with red coloured underarms who were itching like mad she said.So E.J,beware nature also have some nasty surprises.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 11:23:52 »
Poor EJ  I hope you're feeling better  :)  I noticed on GW the other night when they were picking squash foliage off that the presenter in the background was looking decidedly uncomfy and in pain from the prickles  :o
I came, I saw, I composted

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 12:04:53 »
I saw that Wardy, but she carried on like a trooper and didn't even swear in a loud voice like I do when sorting out my courgettes  ;D

M.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 14:27:07 »
awwww, thanks everyone.  It was soooooooooo painful midweek, but now it is more irritating as it is sooooooooooo itchy!  Fullers earth Rosebud, my mum used to swear by that, didn't know it was still around!  Will have to find some.  It was definately the parsnip leaves and I know exactly how it occured on my left arm.  I was using my left hand and arm to brush the foliage aside whilst using my right hand to pick out the weeds, not that there were many you understand.  I have been using savlon on it as like daughter number one, I have problems with certain creams and lotions!

I saw that wardy, old Sarah Raven getting prickled.  So many things are spikey or sappy!

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2005, 15:17:45 »
seen other people with that rash Emma (hope it clears up soon)  I know that the parsnip is related to some weed (  l think it is the hog weed) and you can get a nasty rash of that as well
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal