Author Topic: My 'harvest' today  (Read 11331 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: My 'harvest' today
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2005, 10:25:06 »
;D Hmm! Forest Gateau springs to mind ;D save some for me ;D

Is a lid essential? as I have a pallet bin with open air sides and no lid?

A lid keeps the warmth in and the rain out. Rain in the compost heap not only turns your compost soggy, it also leaches out all the nutrients in the compost.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2005, 12:02:41 »
You want to keep it snug Roy so it hots up and starts the rotting process.  The hotter it gets the quicker the compost is made.  You can cover the open sides of your pallet bins which is what I'm going to do to keep the heat in the bin where it should be  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2005, 00:07:38 »
LS, your bin looks just like mine, does yours have 4 slide up doors?

Hi TwoSpot. Mine is called a 'Garden Gourmet' and has one door at the bottom which slides up. It has a large lid with 2 smaller flaps at the top, and has air vents between the slats. The slats interlock and are easy to assemble. Hope this was not too much information!!

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2005, 18:56:29 »
Hi LS, not too much info. Not like mine then, mine has four slide up doors at the bottom a lid and vents on all four sides.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2005, 18:22:00 »
Just to leap feet first onto the compost bandwagon, here is mine.  Still chunky, but then the bottom is a year old, the middle only about 4 months old, and the top is current so is raked off and used to refill.  Have been spreading it over anywhere cleared.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2005, 20:33:06 »
Nectar of the Gods EJ  ;D   I put it on my carrot bed but noticed today that mr mole has undermined it  >:( 

undercarriage plan

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2005, 17:36:27 »
I have no idea what state my compost is at the lottie cos it's got squash growing in it!!! But just had a look at what my little worms have produced, and it's wonderful!! Not quite sure of the best way to use it, as there's not a huge amount....but bless their little cottons, they've done a lovely job!! Lottie ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2005, 20:14:53 »
Wow that looks great, and no lumps  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2005, 20:43:06 »
LOL! Nope, no lumps, but will still need to sieve it cos some of my little worm mates are still lurking.......I'll put some melon in, for some reason it gets them really excited!!  ::) ;D
Don't ask me how I know....think I'm in psychic link with worms for goodness sake..... ::)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2005, 17:57:12 »
Well done Lotttie.   ;D

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal