Author Topic: My 'harvest' today  (Read 11360 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: My 'harvest' today
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2005, 20:31:03 »
Hey, Lord Steve, I demand to see a pic of your compost too!   ;) 

Hi Wardy.  No, I've not tried manure compost but with such a small garden (and no lottie) it would be tricky.  I do have a small turf pile (coming on nicely) and some leaf mould in a black bin liner (almost ready) though.   ;D

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2005, 22:48:24 »
Hi Georgie! You did ask ... so here goes!

Here are a couple of pics of my harvest. I was rather chuffed as it is my first ever batch of compost. I think it has turned out ok.

I will sieve it when I am ready to use it (what do you do with the larger twigs etc? Do you chuck them back on the compost to break down in more time, or do you throw them away?).

Well done with your compost, again - it looks very professional sieved in the tub trug!!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2005, 22:52:48 »
Oh Steve, that loooks fab.   ;D  Just chuck the larger bits back in the bin, they will get there soon I promise.   :D

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2005, 23:05:34 »
Thanks, Georgie!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2005, 23:55:11 »
 ::) May sound like a silly question, but why do you have to sieve it?

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 00:15:27 »
HEY roy just checked out your website (your lottie) nice going, loads of beds and gravel path will help with controlling weeds, keep up the good work,
All the best
windy  ;D
my allotment
heaven

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005, 00:22:11 »
;) Thank you Windy, much appreciated :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2005, 10:31:47 »
::) May sound like a silly question, but why do you have to sieve it?

Well you dont have to sieve it Roy, you could just use it on your beds and borders as it is (good for bulking up/improving poor soils). However if you want to use it as a potting compost  for example then it probably needs sieving (or riddling) to get rid of the large lumps.  Which of course can then be put back in with the next batch of compost.

Hope this helps.  :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2005, 11:46:55 »
Your lotties look great Roy.  Very tidy and organised.  They look brand new lotties.  Are they?

I like the idea of making the beds off the path.  Very clean lines Roy which I can onkly aspire to.  Mine is all higgledy piggledy and disorganised.  Just like me.  It's a pig to navigate round though and it's gonna change! Not sure when exactly  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2005, 12:30:35 »
;) Thanks Richard and Wardy. Yes they are brand new, well no they are revived very old lotties, (My Dad used to have one many years ago), the council is selling off half of it  and we have what's left, it was closed for over two years through vandalism, then a brand new steel fence erected and the council sprayed and ploughed a big chunk for rent, still not full yet.

I'm not sure I like the paths now as the weeds still grow through the wood chip and it is looking very untidy, I may either let the grass grow and keep strimmed or just keep hoeing the tops off.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2005, 16:31:23 »
beautiful stuff Georgie! I can't berlieve you sieve it all - that's dedication! I haven't got the patience for that!

Harvested some of mine at the weekend too. not sure how long it took as I've rather lost track of it all! I now have about 200l in bags ready to use! Plus three more bins of semi-rotted stuff and about another four or five bags full of fresh stuff.

I love compost - no matter what my other harvests are like I can always get a decent crop of compost!
gone to pot :D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2005, 17:11:37 »
Hi Aqui.  I have to sieve it because I use it in my pots bit I don't mind, I find it quite theraputic.  I've got my eye on one of those rotosieves now, mind, might put one on my Christmas list.    ;D

G xx

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2005, 10:38:55 »
I used to sieve it when I made my own compost, nowadays I just put half-rotted leaves straight on.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2005, 08:57:27 »
Oh well if we're all showing off our home made compost here's mine from my Compost Machine.  This lot is only the bottom third and it's filled me barrow a big rubber trug and a gardening sack  :o  It wants sieving to get all the twigs out but it was too wet so I'm drying it off a bit first.  Well that's the plan so it makes it easier to sieve.  Tried it yesterday and it just stuck  :(   It's a toss up now though what the best use for it is as I don't want to waste it.  It must all be used wisely.  It's got loads of eggshells in it so I suppose I could use it on my new brassica bed which is sitting patiently, growing weeds, waiting for Dobies to deliver  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:58:58 by wardy »

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2005, 12:19:32 »
Oh well if we're all showing off our home made compost here's mine from my Compost Machine.  This lot is only the bottom third and it's filled me barrow a big rubber trug and a gardening sack  :o  It wants sieving to get all the twigs out but it was too wet so I'm drying it off a bit first.  Well that's the plan so it makes it easier to sieve.  Tried it yesterday and it just stuck  :(   It's a toss up now though what the best use for it is as I don't want to waste it.  It must all be used wisely.  It's got loads of eggshells in it so I suppose I could use it on my new brassica bed which is sitting patiently, growing weeds, waiting for Dobies to deliver  :)

Is that wire basket what you use as a sieve wardy? I just have a small bought one from the garden centre. No wonder i dont have the patience to do vry much seiving!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2005, 12:23:08 »
That wire basket is one of many someone gave me, the racks too, I have some in my wardrobe so does my OH and two more lots in the shed. Fantastically handy (Ikea) Some folk just give owt away!
I used it to try and sieve out some of the sticks and twigs before a final sieve with my plastic garden sieve.  The plastic sieves I find are a bit fine but my wire one has disintegrated.  Must get a new one.  The compost was too moist to sieve through the plastic one so I thought I'd leave it to dry off but since then it has poured it down. Drat!  Typical  >:(

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2005, 20:17:46 »
Looks good, Wardy.   ;D

G xx

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2005, 09:52:55 »
Thanks for complimenting my mixture.  Got two more bins the other day so even more of the lovely stuff.  My considerate OH has gone off to buy me a metal sieve - isn't that kind?  So I can spend the day sieving as I don't really want twigs and sticks all over me beds  :)  The leaves had clumped together a bit so they went back into a newly started bin.  I think composting is therapeutic  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2005, 14:36:24 »
I see Monty Don is singing the praises of composting in his column in Amateur Gardener this week.  I wonder if he's seen this thread?   ;D  ;D  ;D

G xx

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2005, 14:42:16 »
Yes I watched it and I enjoyed it.  I thought Monty was very enthusiastic and upbeat  :)

Been sieving all day with plastic sieve.  Long job but quite a pleasant mindless task on a lovely sunny morning.

Here is the finished result and all the sticks etc put back into new bin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal