Author Topic: Frost  (Read 11461 times)

TEL

• Hectare
Re: Frost
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2005, 15:08:58 »
Yes had a hard one in wing bucks but hasn't killed much.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2005, 15:44:30 »
My French beans are looking unwell! :-\
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2005, 15:47:24 »
Oh dear, TM, sounds like that they suffered a bit like my runners..... :'( Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2005, 15:55:18 »
No damage here, all my weeds are looking very healthy ...

Derekthefox :D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2005, 16:35:55 »
No damage at all here in Ware.  Thank god for that !
 ;D ;)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2005, 17:35:19 »
Managed to clear a border of fu*hsias and geraniums, also took 30 more cuttings.The border I cleared is going to be just for shrubs next year. Didn't manage to plant clematis (birthday present) but they are safe. Although it's late sowed just a few of the Aquilegia seeds that Georgie kindly sent me. Sorted area out to grow more veg next year. Thats enough for one day hope the sun shines tomorrow. Hope you are all having a good w/e.  No frost here .   Lorna.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2005, 18:19:20 »
Oh dear, TM, sounds like that they suffered a bit like my runners..... :'( Lottie

Cheer up. There's always turnip soup to look forward to... :-\
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2005, 18:48:52 »
Thought you were trying to cheer me up, TM.... ;)! On the other hand, and don't laugh, but had my first ever taste of home grown, roasted butternut squash.. was absolutely delicious!!! Yum  yum!!! Lottie  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2005, 19:13:41 »
No frosts here in the smoke either, but I have taken a number of Pelagonium cuttings today just in case.  Eugh Lottie, I tried Butternut squash in the week and I really don't like it.   :(  Hey Lorna, glad you've got your Aquilegia seeds in.  I must have pulled up about 3,000 seedlings today which had spread into various pots.   ;)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2005, 20:04:49 »
Down to 2.5 down here in Dorchester last night. (see my thread in 'the Shed' for more). No harm done apparently, though the runner beans I picked this evening, i swear smelt differently to normal. Or maybe just my imagination. Have to see how they eat later!

Didnt bother taking anything in, since the GH is full of tomato plants in pots which i brought in to help ripen the last fruits up. So not much room for anything else!

At this time fo year when it doesnt mater too much i like to try an push the boundaries of hardiness as far as they will go (or maybe i am just lazy!). Most plants (that i grow) are tough enough and mature enough by now to take a bit of low temperature before they are finished doing their stuff.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2005, 22:19:20 »
Georgie, it will become my mission in life to convert you....and being the world's worst cook, could take a while... ;D Lottie :-\

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2005, 09:45:00 »
Despite the protests of my (non gardening) other half, I made him sit thru gardeners world with me, and when Monty mentioned the frost I was reasonably complacent. A few hours later I suddenly remembered my little pepper plant (slugs got all the others), and panicked. 10pm saw me dragging on wellies and warm coat to go cover the plant, fortunately the allotment is only a short walk away. Other half toasty on the sofa watched my preparations with amusement and then said hmmm, are you sure its safe to go out alone? OK, I said, you can come with me - his face fell in horror. I felt very relieved when we got back, but I think other half will be muttering and chuckling about humanitarian aid for plants for a while.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2005, 10:05:25 »
My outdoor high/low thermometers have not dropped under 12c at night, but the temp has dropped during the day, last week it was up about 26 this week dropped to 22 at times.

Mind you it is not usually the cold that does the damage down here. It's the damp.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2005, 10:51:08 »
My outdoor high/low thermometers have not dropped under 12c at night, but the temp has dropped during the day, last week it was up about 26 this week dropped to 22 at times.

Mind you it is not usually the cold that does the damage down here. It's the damp.

So where are you then ACE?

amphibian

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2005, 12:29:47 »
Here in Tunbridge Wells the night time temperature hasn't dropped below 15C.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2005, 13:46:24 »
So where are you then ACE?

The South Island  across the solent.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2005, 20:36:19 »
Georgie, it will become my mission in life to convert you....and being the world's worst cook, could take a while... ;D Lottie :-\

Yikes, do I wanna be converted?   ???  I will NEVER eat sprouts! 

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

undercarriage plan

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2005, 20:51:50 »
How about butternut squash wine, and sprout rum......LOL!!! I'll cover them in ketchup, like kids do to eat them   ::) ::) ::) Lottie  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2005, 20:55:57 »
Eugh, I'd rather eat sprouts and butternut squash than ketchup.    Looks like you've won already!    ::)

G xx

undercarriage plan

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2005, 20:57:50 »
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal