Author Topic: Cotoneaster  (Read 1934 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Cotoneaster
« on: September 17, 2005, 17:23:44 »
My Contoneaster is about 15 years old.  It's about 5 feet high and four feet across but it's dying.   :(  I can't see any obvious reasons for this and I just wonder if it is old age?  It will have to go, either next month or in early Spring.  The thing is, I have a small Cotoneaster which self-seeded and is  currently in a pot.  Would you recommend planting it in the same place where the old one grew?  I have nowhere else to put it really.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Cotoneaster
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 18:52:09 »
Never grown them myself Georgie, but remember something at college, so found this link. Best not to plant in the same place I would imagine.
http://www.ppath.cas.psu.edu/EXTENSION/PLANT_DISEASE/cotoneas.html

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 19:06:07 »
Hmmm, thanks Jenny, but I'm pretty certain it's neither canker nor fire blight.  The parts of the shrub which are the newest ie those at the top and to the front are absolutely fine.  But the older growth lower down and to the rear is brittle and very dead.  In other words I've got healthy growth - green leaves and berries - on probably only about a third of the plant now.  I'd hate to be without a Cotoneaster because it's such a wildlife friendly plant with year round interest. 

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 09:21:11 »
Georgie, it could just be due to the strange weather we've been having this year. If it's got healthy new growth, there can't be nuch wrong with it. Might be an idea to leave it and see.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 20:20:35 »
Yeah, Twospot, you could be right.  I'll wait until next spring and see how it looks then.  Thanks.   :)

G xx

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 00:02:09 »
Try pruning it back in spring just as new growth is starting I do mine every couple of years this encourages new growth from the bottom up makes a better looking bush. Taking  the branches back by half to the main stems.
Mine is on the drive so has to be keept under control.
Also  a feed in spring and in autumn wont go amiss it is an amazing shrub for wildlife.  Oh yes on a hot day I spray the bush in the evening roots and leaves.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 19:35:25 »
Okay.  Many thanks for that advice, Teresa.   :)

G xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal