Author Topic: Tower is switching off moniter  (Read 2195 times)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Tower is switching off moniter
« on: September 10, 2005, 14:04:37 »
Hi,
My tower when its switch on and then the monitor is  switched on the tower switches off the monitor.
It does it to other monitors as well.
The monitor was tried on another tower and works fine.
any ideas out there in Cyb land.
regards Teresa

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: Tower is switching off moniter
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 22:31:38 »
Have you checked the settings that you are running with your monitor?   If your tower is transmitting at an unacceptable frequency then I beleive that may cause the monitor to switch off.  Of course I'm not sure how you find that out if you can't get the monitor on long enough to let you check.......

Maybe someone else could help with that bit?!  :-\
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

ChrisH

• Quarter Acre
    • http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/enable/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 17:20:17 »
Teresa,

You could try going into safe mode by pressing F8 when the PC starts (it can be tricky to hit it at the corect time). You will then be prompted with a menu when you select Safe Mode.

If the PC loads then it is the display setting (start > settings > control panel > display)
I am guesing here but on the setting tab, drop the resolution a bit and then apply and ok. Restart the PC and see if the monitor works.

Let us know how it goes...

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 20:10:24 »
Go to your Bios setting and if you find a tick in the box "Wake on Lan" UNTICK IT
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 15:32:50 »
thank you all for your help it had to go to the comp doctors and now waiting for the results. Chap on the desk tried to tell me I needed a new moniter ha ha. I am using the moniter on my sons tower now so shes ok. I came out thinking I must look stupid? oh boy they will try to sell you anything these days.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 13:23:30 »
up date, just had a phone call from the comp people and they say its the mother board and they cannot get a new one to fit.
So sudgested I get a  new tower but they can rescue my saved data and photos? how can anyone explanin to me?

Bagpuss74

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 13:50:50 »
Hi Teresa,

I'd be tempted to do a search on ebay for a compatable motherboard rather than spending loads on a new machine.  If it's the motherboard I'm guessing the comp people are trying to blame the onboard graphics - therefore it might be worth investing in a cheap pci or agp graphics card (try novatech.co.uk or ebay again).

Other than that, it's hard to say what's best without knowing what board you have, age of machine, operating system etc.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 21:35:05 »
Hi Bagpuss
thanks will look into that.
Getting her back tomorrow not fixed but will check out mother boards on ebay,
I got it new in Nov 2002 and it had ME on her I cannot remember her make.
any help gratefully received ha ha

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 22:20:55 »
It might well be the motherboard but 'puter not that old so you should be able to find a compatible one.   Suggest you try a local home service person.  They are normally more accomodating and helpful than the stores!

Agree with thoughts on graphics card as well though.
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Bagpuss74

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 14:08:27 »
Good point about the local shops IJ.

Given the age of the machine and OS I would favour trying a "new" graphics card first as they are a doddle to fit and by far the cheapest option at under £20.  You might even get a shop to try this option for you with a cheap card or a spare they might have lying around - if it works, pay for the card  ;)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 08:47:37 »
Hi Teresa

Are both the monitor and tower sharing the same power pack? by this i mean do you plug both into the tower!! if so the power pack may be failing when under pressure from both!! you say you have used your sons monitor, does the monitor by any chance plug directly into the wall socket as if it does it proves the point!! hope this helps. KevB
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal