Author Topic: Sick Greenfinch  (Read 1585 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Sick Greenfinch
« on: October 15, 2005, 13:58:22 »
  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I have had a sick Greenfinch the past few days and last night it tried to commit suicide by bashing twice into the kitchen window.  The poor thing probably had salmonella which the greenfinches are prone to.  Anyways, I was locking up around Midnight and when I opened the Kitchen door this greenfinch flew in and settled itself on top of my kitchen units.  ??? ??? ??? Now I would ahve liked to have been able to put it up for the night but common sense said NO.  I came up with the bright idea of catching it with a fishing net.  I caught the poor thing ok and took it outside where I hope it settled for the night.  Ihave not seenit today.   :'( :'( :'(

jaggythistle

• Acre
Re: Sick Greenfinch
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 14:33:18 »

Going by what you said Carol....every chance it was a young un.... and
  when they go into the first moult they ar prone to "Going Light " sulpha
  drugs woulda helped but not cured him. Its a shame cos they are bonnie
  birds.....seen manys a good 1 on the show bench.... (pssst..dinnea tell
  oanybody but I once let a best in show winner oot its show cage by
  accident  :o...the rings had ti be checked yi see !!!! :o).

Kevin

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 21:55:00 »
The Greenfinch is still alive tonight but the poor thing is really ill.  It has hung around my kitchen door most of day and it looks blind and all fluffed up and ill looking.  I wish I could have put it out its misery.   The Greenfinches pick up the Salmonella with eating contaminated seed.  Please ensure your feeding areas are kept clean.and avoid such horrible deaths.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 22:02:09 »
Oh Carol, feel for you. Had to put pigeon out of its misery the other day, felt awful. Big hug. Lottie  :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal