Author Topic: Bees and mice  (Read 1421 times)

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
Bees and mice
« on: September 12, 2005, 20:42:46 »
I have just been to my allotment to clear more of the stuff left by the previous owners. I went to remove a pile of old carpet and the remains of what might have been a compost heap, only to find lots of bees flying out.

Unfortunately this covers a large area of my half plot, so I really need to get rid of it - does anyone have any suggestions?  :-\ I'm not really keen on killing the bees.

Also - after doing my strimming I left a pile of weeds intending to get rid of it. I didn't get a chance to straight away and now I think some mice have moved in as heard quite a bit of squeaking coming from it. Any suggestions for this? Again I have plans for the space they are occupying.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Bees and mice
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 20:58:20 »
What sort of bees are they? It sounds like either bumblebees (fat and furry) or wasps (slim, and very yellow on the abdomen) which are often mistaken for bees. Either will die off before long. Bumblebees can be moved if you know what you're doing, but this late in the season it's probably not worth it.

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 16:44:27 »
The bees are quite small. Not lovely big bumble bees. Definitely not wasps. I think they were coming out of little holes in the ground. What are the chances of getting stung if I do move it?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 22:53:00 »
One of the solitary bees, then. They won't sting you.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 19:10:03 »
If you really do want to try moving bees ...

see if you can borrow a smoke gun - as used by bee keepersĀ  ;)

this makes them very dozy and far less likely to sting you - you hope!!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 22:55:47 »
Smoke gun? Do you think we shoot smoke or what? It's a small firepot which puffs smoke, as long as it actually burns that is. Nothing very sophisticated as all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal