Author Topic: Moth Orchids  (Read 2853 times)

Bambi.1

• Acre
Moth Orchids
« on: September 11, 2005, 14:36:46 »

I have 2 Moth Orchids which have both finished flowering  :'( and l have new leaves,so l don't think l've killed them off  ::) ::) but my question is...............do l cut the stems off (which had the flowers on )or should l leave it to do it's own thing ?
Anyone have any good tips ? on when do they need re-potting or any idea when l will get any more flowers.

I know l could google but prefer tips from peeps who have had them,if you know what l mean  ;D

Bambi.1

• Acre
Re: Moth Orchids
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 13:54:26 »

Popped into my local garden centre and asked,also read and there were three different versions on what to do LOL!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 15:17:23 »
I have a few of these, and tend to cut the flowering shoot back to about the 2nd bud/nodule thing up from main crown, not to the bottom. Give it a feed and you may get another flower! Good luck. Lottie  ;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 18:54:56 »
Hi Bambi.1
I bought my first moth orchid about June of last year and except for about a month in the  spring of this year it hasn't stopped flowering. :)
When I bought it I asked about cutting the stem back when it had finished flowering and was told to cut to the next joint down so you still have a few more to go before the bottom.  This way if it does die back a bit after cutting it shouldn't stop it producing a flowering bud.  Did this with mine and it's now better than ever having also produced a second flowering stem.
Having always thought they were difficult to grow, I was put off for years but now I know that's not true I've bought a couple more this year.
Absolutely beautiful plants  :)

MM

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 21:54:43 »

Thank you Lottie and MM for your replies,it gives me hope again  ;D
One lady in the garden centre told me to cut the stem right back to the base  ??? another said to leave 8inches  ??? can't remember what the other one said  ???

Will cut it back to the next nodule and see what happens.keep fingers crossed  ;D they are so beautiful and would be a shame to lose them.
Thanks again.
Bambi.

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 08:40:40 »
Whats an approximate cost of these, and recommended temperature, they are beautiful but how delicate and demanding?? I've been considering buying one but costs are prohibitive!!! Thanks Kev
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 09:10:49 »
Well, Kev, on a normal day in Garden centre, they go for about £15 but can be as high as £30, depening on variety. But, I get mine after Mother's day, or keep eye out for ones that have finished flowering, then they go for £1!! They're not hard, really. Like light, but not direct sunlight, mist aerial roots, keep fairly squeezed in pot, erm water sparingly. I keep mine on bed of gravel which I keep wet, cos they like humidity. Now have 9!! Love 'em to bits!! Go on, treat yourself!!Lottie  ;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 19:40:28 »
At Blooms, our local garden centre, they start at £9.99 up to about £30.  That's where I got my first one for £9.99. :)  My most recent orchid I bought from Homebase for just £2.29 on a 10% off day.  It just had one flower but otherwise healthy enough so I just thought 'what have I got to lose?'. ;)  I have it in the bedroom which faces south but with the blind down it isn't in direct sunlight.  I thought for that price I can use it to see if an orchid will be happy there.  So far so good  ;D

MM

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 19:50:20 »
Sure it'll be fine! But word of warning...they're really addictive!!! Lottie  ::)

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 19:53:46 »
Don't I know it.  Find it very hard to walk by them.  OH hurridly walks on hoping I will follow.  Or I get 'what do you want another for you already have . . . . !'

MM

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 19:55:33 »
That sounds frighteningly familiar....... ;) Lottie

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 20:15:20 »
Thought  it might Lottie  ;)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 21:51:52 »
Funny creatures, OHs...... ::)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 22:31:13 »
Thanks all!! really appreciate the encouragement and pointers toward prices and the best time to buy!! I'm eyeing a ledge in out conservatory, but it gets cold in winter!! I'd hate to kill a plant of ANY kind through neglect. thats not down to cost but because you should nurture nature!! wow thats profound for me ;) ;) :)
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

montanum

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 11:43:23 »
one little tip that may be useful, do not move the plant into adifferent  environment if it is happy where it is!  We had to move ours into the conservatory (heated) during the cooler weather and it did not like it at all - in fact it got a disease on the leaves that is usually caused by fluctuating temperatures and they had horrible brown patches that eventually merged together, At that point we realised that it was no good persevering and we binned it! Have got another one now and it will stay on the kitchen windowsill whatever we do!
cheers
From The Mountains

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 16:30:47 »
Another admission from me.. I don't know what they look like but they sound  wonderful... Any pics please?? Lorna.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 17:18:47 »
These are 2 that are blooming at the min, about to go over really, but I love them! Hope this helps. Lottie ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 18:20:18 »
Thanks Lottie. Quite agree, they look beautiful.   Will drop a couple of hints next year to kids!!!!  Lorna.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal