Author Topic: What should I start to grow?  (Read 2131 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
What should I start to grow?
« on: September 15, 2005, 10:27:48 »
Hello to everyone - I'm new to all this allotment stuff only just got ours and its not ready yet as it needs to be dug over so planting out in the allotment will be done next year but i've grown runner beans in our garden again this year and they went well but what could I put in there place now? What sort of veg are people starting from seed at this time?

westsussexlottie

• Acre
Re: What should I start to grow?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 10:34:05 »
spinach, giant winter spinach, swiss chard, winter black radish, pak choi, Christmas potatoes, overwintering japanese onions...plants of cabbage, cauliflower, kale, brussels sprouts, red cabbage (you can still buy them on ebay)

probably lots more but thats all I can think of...

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 10:41:39 »
I would start at the pen and paper stage.  March is the busiest (arguably) time of the gardening year, so it would be best is your allotment is ready then.  measure the plot.  plan and perhaps biuld the beds.  think about rotation.  dig over the site removing as much perennial weed as you can.  site compost bins and water butts.  think about what you like to eat, and how much of it you want to grow (don't grow too much as that adds up to a lot of hard work).  order your seeds, again don't go mad but i like to order something 'experimental' every year (this year chick peas, next year huckleberries!).  that's more than enuf to be going on over autumn and winter, ready for spring and the sowing/planting frenzy!
It'll be better next year

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 12:53:00 »
Hi Rosyred,

I'm with Wardy on this one, planning is good but nothing like growing stuff. You could try planting Japanese Onions and garlic cloves in Autumn.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 14:17:31 »
get it dug

then the question is of course depending on size etc WHAT SHOULDN'T you plant !!!

have a go at anything and everything you feel confident about i think maybe a good way to start planning is
1stly
good idea is what do you use a lot of and the family eat and like
2ndly
maybe a good mixture of veg and fruit (mixed with flowers to as they help with the bugs)
3rdly
what deems to grow better on your allotments near you  (best talking to the people around you, Spend enough time digging and theyll soon be talking)
4thly
personally i dont worry about basic salad stuff as it grows anywhere you want it to !

ok so the list is endless but above points are something to think about

owww 5thly

ENJOYYYYYYYYYYY

Carl

another member of i forgot my password

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 14:32:43 »
After writing this I went off to B&Q as it was a dull morning and brought some seeds. B&Q did a pack for £3.98 and you get 12 veg which I thought wasn't bad if nothing comes to much in the first year. I'm very much like Wardy can't wait and just go for it. Can't wait for October then we can start the digging. Just wanted an idea what to put in our back garden so that I have something to occupy me before I get the allotment as I just want it ....now.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 14:43:13 »
You could start sowing lettuces and then transplanting on lotty later on
and your brassicas  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 11:18:07 »
Welcome back, All your previous posts are here.
Your post
"
Edible Plants / Re: Borlotti Beans
« on: September 18, 2005, 02:34:48 »
Hello, Just had a read about your allotment on Blogger and the stuff you have grown look wonderful. I've only just got my allotment, brought some seeds the other day & hope I have a good crop like you next year.

One thing what fertiliser did you use to get those results?

RR "
Is this the clue?

Notify

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal