Author Topic: transplanting  (Read 2327 times)

Rox

• Half Acre
transplanting
« on: September 13, 2005, 09:56:50 »
I have a number of penstemons and lupins in pots that are extremely overcrowded, and hence totally underperformed this summer. I sowed them from seed in spring and would like to tranplant in coming weeks to where they have more space in the borders. Ditto for my sea holly (ergynium planum) and kniphofia plants grown from rhizomes in the spring. I know these latter two are supposed to dislike transplanting, but given they are quite small still, hoping I can get away with it... any thoughts? p.s. does anyone know if they are supposed to flower in their first year, or only the summer after? thanks!!  :)

wardy

• Hectare
Re: transplanting
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 10:53:39 »
I move stuff all the time but perhaps when it's cooler and wetter might be best then you don't have to keep watering them.  Kniphofia flower the second year I reckon.  Mine did anyway  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 11:05:32 »
i grow some Kniphofia this year from seed had plenty of green growth but no flowers so iam hoping mine will flower next year perhaps it depends on which variety you buy

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 12:17:45 »
Hi Rox,

I bough some kniphofia rhizomes last spring and started them off in pots in the greenhouse. No idea if this was right, but when it warmed up a bit I planted them out and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm - they've filled out nicely and hopefully will flower next year.

Cheers,
Rob  ;)

"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 14:31:07 »
All I'd say is that Autumn is the ideal time to transplant them. The soil is still warm so the roots will grow & help the plant to settle in but the top growth will have stopped & as Wardy says, less worry about watering. They should then romp away next spring. I've certainly moved kniphofias.

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 13:37:54 »
Hi Rox, I'd be inclined to transplant all while the ground is still 'warm'.  Don't cut the penstemons back at all when you do them as this gives extra winter cover for the crown.  Cut back the flowering spikes on your kniphofia and eryngium (reduces wind damage) and be sure to plant the eryngium where you can get at then as they self seed like billy-o and may also need staking next summer.  Of the four, these are the only ones I've needed to put supports in for.  I have also found that kniphofia are a bit slow to flower in the year after splitting or moving.

Look to take some root cuttings for propagation from your eryngium to add to your supply.  I've had success with doing this in early spring, before the plant starts to get moving.  You could try it now and overwinter the cuttings in a frame if you have one.  Good luck.  Lance
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal