Author Topic: Slugs and black 'plastic'  (Read 3205 times)

ellkebe

• Hectare
Slugs and black 'plastic'
« on: June 29, 2005, 22:34:32 »
I know this is probably a forlorn hope - but does anyone have any advice for keeping the little so-and-sos off of potatoes under fabric - while staying organic?!

Everyone on the allotment has said that if I'm not going to use pellets, then there is no point at all growing main crop or second croppers as I'm simply feeding up the slugs (nice to know I'll have a healthy sized crop of something ;D)

Is this the thinking here?  If so, do organic, under fabric growers restrict themselves to early potatoes only? Or are there slug resistant main crop types I could try and use next year?

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
Re: Slugs and black 'plastic'
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 22:44:54 »
Beer traps at each side of the growing area might be worth a try (organic beer of course) ::)
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 23:39:46 »
I hate to say this, but for the first time in 7 years I have put pellets under my carpet, they were just doing too much damage  :-\  I have bought the one with half the chemicals in it, so I guess it makes me feel half as bad!!!! But I may only kill half the slugs! ::)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 19:45:46 »
I know this is asking for a slap......!! But I haven't had any problem with slugs!! Really sorry, not gloating, just wondering what I have inadvertently done to stop them. Could be worth a fortune!!  Ah yes! Gave them to daughter for snail farm!!! Lottie  ;)

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 23:28:38 »
I know this is asking for a slap......!! But I haven't had any problem with slugs!!

Slaaaaaap  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 21:12:19 »
LOL!!  ;)  That hurt! But was deserved! Lottie (still no slug damage though......!  :o)

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 08:45:59 »
The best form of a trap is the beer trap.

I can highly recommend this as they drown very happily drunk. :P :P ;D

UCP, if you find out what your doing to prevent your slugs, then please let us know. :D :D ::)  We could all do with some help with them

RedMia

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 10:51:12 »
What about nemetodes? Thompson and Morgan have a special offer on at the moment...finishes on the 7th I believe

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/list/natural-pest-control

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 13:53:00 »
What area does a large pack cover, and how long is it before the slugs move back in? Anyone know?

RedMia

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 14:06:50 »
If you click on the picture of the slug next to the description on the Thompson website, it gives you a bit more info on the product...small pack covers 49 sq metres, large pack covers 100sq.metres and lasts up to six weeks

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 23:30:18 »
Elkebe         I grew Desiree as apparently they are less attractive to slugs.  I'm growing spuds under black plastic and I have put slug pellets in boxes all round the bed, plus a coffee grounds barrier. Don'tknow whether it;s worked as I;ve not begun harvesting yet  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 18:23:05 »
Where is the cheapest place to buy black plastic?  Now I have decided I need soem I cannot find the posts about it - and I need loads.  Sorry, I am a bit of a useless scrounger - bit nervy ???
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 17:13:53 »
Red Clanger    The cheapest I've seen (for the thickest quality) - I think it's called Formycil or some such thing.  It's very strong for paths as well as ground cover.  The site I've used is called Alplas - www.alplas.co.uk I think

Wardy

Nervy of scrounging?  It takes practice  ;D

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 21:27:45 »
Where is the cheapest place to buy black plastic?  Now I have decided I need soem I cannot find the posts about it - and I need loads.  Sorry, I am a bit of a useless scrounger - bit nervy ???

I got 8m x 50m for £45 from a local farm suppliers ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 10:24:13 »
SmithnJones on the web  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal