Author Topic: will it won't it  (Read 1366 times)

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
will it won't it
« on: September 13, 2005, 21:10:22 »
one of the plots on our site became vacant last week and to be truthful its a brill plot lots and lots of fruit on it.  The bushes and the young tree's are only about 4 years old and well they are all beginning to dissapear onto other plots. there is a couple of victoria plum fan tree's and though the fruits have gone I was wondering if a quick dig out and into another position would damage it. Any advice before they're all gone would be appreciated.
                 Jock

suzylou

• Half Acre
Re: will it won't it
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 21:23:18 »
I say go for it, if you don't someone else will!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 23:31:16 »
Perhaps you could take on a second plot, no need to move anything then.

That way you get all the fruit!  Legitimately !!  :)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 08:34:04 »
I took on a second plot because it had fruit trees as well as bush raspberries.
To keep the work down i put tree carpets at the base of the trees and just keep the grass down, similar to an orchard.
That way i keep the fruit trees at little cost with hardly any effort.
I keep the raspberries mulched with the grass cuttings which in turn surpresses the weeds around their base.
All in all a winner!
So I would say go for the extra plot.........
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 12:41:56 »
If you are absolutely certain it's vacant, go for it. But try not to disturb the roots too much. Dig at least a 4ft circular trench around the tree. Carefully dig under it to a depth of at least 2ft. (before you start this, Water the tree - say 10-20 gallons, and dig the new hole you want to put it into - at least 3 ft sq or dia, and water the hole too)
Keep as many of the fibrous roots attached as you can - these are the feeder roots. get the tree out and put it straight in the new hole. Fiil the hole, tread down carefully as you go to get the soil in contact with the roots.
Water it at least once a week.
Best of luck - it can be done.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal